Dust seal/ring broke and got wedged between axle and knuckle
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Dust seal/ring broke and got wedged between axle and knuckle within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi guys, so I was having an intermittent squeak from the passenger side at about 35 MPH when turning slightly ...

Dust seal/ring broke and got wedged between axle and knuckle

Hi guys, so I was having an intermittent squeak from the passenger side at about 35 MPH when turning slightly left.

The culprit (story below):

The ring deformed a bit when I pulled it off the axle, but the cracks and the ground down metal were there before I took it off.

I should have taken a picture of it in place but didn't think to at the time. It was sitting roughly in the spot marked in red, but part of it was jammed in between the axle and knuckle, causing the squeak:

The story:

At first I thought it was coming from the front because it would only squeak when turning (must be steering related). So I took off the front passenger side wheel to inspect, but found nothing out of the ordinary.

Took the rear passenger side wheel, caliper, and disc off to check the E-brake assembly. While I was looking around, I noticed this obviously broken ring on the backside of the knuckle. The way I found it, I could see it cracked and part of it was wedged between the knuckle and axle. I looked on the drivers side to see what this piece was supposed to look like, and it appears to be some sort of dust seal or similar. I couldn't find any info in the service manual about it though.

Do you guys know what this piece is? Can I drive for a while without it in place, or will oil leak out/water get in and corrode bearings or something?? I'll eventually get around to replacing it when I do a hub service, I just want to know how soon I need to get to that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It's probably part of the outer rear hub seal. There are 2 seals on the back side of the hub. The innner is for the wheel bearing and the outer is a hub/axle seal.

Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Donkey, so that would be #11 in the diagram you posted?? Looks like it could be it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapasquak
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.