engine rebuild help
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on engine rebuild help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi guys I'm new to the forum. I just bought my first subaru. I'm looking to rebuild the motor or ...

engine rebuild help

Hi guys I'm new to the forum. I just bought my first subaru. I'm looking to rebuild the motor or have it rebuilt. Is there any good engine rebuild kits out there? How difficult is it to rebuild a subaru motor. It's an 04 wrx with the 2.0

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome.

Your question unfortunately is a little vague and is too subjective.

We don't know your level of competence or technical abilities. I've been around Subarus for years and I doubt I could rebuild an engine...

What do you want your end goal to be? Just getting back on the road or do you want more power? What do you want the car to do? Also, why does it need a rebuild?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I want it rebuilt. That's all I can tell you. At least stock or a little better. I'm not worried about it being super fast. I want to rebuild it because it has 200k on it. Well maintained but you can feel that it's underpowered even for stock. Still runs amazing but I just want it back to where it should be. How much would I be looking at spending on a rebuild and would it be better to rebuild it or just buy a motor and put it in?

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome!
    Keep in mind a built engine will never last as long as a factory engine.
    Cost will be based on your builds direction.
    Labor will be pricy, do you know a reputable shop to do the build for you?
    You would probably do better with a replacement engine that came out of a wrecked WRX.
    Your question is still a little vague, the more specific you can be.
    The better we will be able to help.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dlewis1000 View Post
    I want it rebuilt. That's all I can tell you. At least stock or a little better. I'm not worried about it being super fast. I want to rebuild it because it has 200k on it. Well maintained but you can feel that it's underpowered even for stock. Still runs amazing but I just want it back to where it should be. How much would I be looking at spending on a rebuild and would it be better to rebuild it or just buy a motor and put it in?
    Just buy a factory shortblock and have the heads rebuilt as well as a port/polish job for a little more power.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Just buy a factory shortblock and have the heads rebuilt as well as a port/polish job for a little more power.

^this.. it will be more reliable, and likely cheaper than a "rebuilt" engine.

I'd start with a Compression test on the current motor. Find out if your motor is healthy.

Why spend money on it if the numbers come back within spec? Otherwise just do some maintenance: oil change, tranny fluid change, diff fluid change, maybe change some bushings/mounts, plugs, new filter, etc.

Then drive it til the wheels fall off.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter

I Support ClubWRX

engine rebuild help

If it's still running in a way that -- direct quote -- is "amazing" I'd leave it alone because any of the solutions will cost 50% of the value of the entire car, and end up with any luck giving you a motor that runs, well, amazing.

If there were nothing else in the works to spend money on at all and I had to do something I'd do what Donkey said, buy a block, send off the heads, do the timing and pump, full gasket set, add a clutch set, all hoses, and a map. It could give another 200K but it'd probably end up costing 5K.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Well it feels underpowered even for being stock.

Being that this is your first Subaru, do you have any stock Subaru that you've driven to compare that to?

zax
    Uh, what?

This could be many things. If you think the car has a bad motor, compression and leakdown test. If that comes back bad, THEN consider a rebuild. Pretty silly to rebuild something that isn't broken, especially when it will exceed the cost of the car.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Being that this is your first Subaru, do you have any stock Subaru that you've driven to compare that to?
    +1 to this. Does it just feel underpowered for what you mind thinks it should be? Maybe just have it tuned to run a more aggressive map first.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Uh, what?

This could be many things. If you think the car has a bad motor, compression and leakdown test. If that comes back bad, THEN consider a rebuild. Pretty silly to rebuild something that isn't broken, especially when it will exceed the cost of the car.
    +1 to this too. Find out what's actually wrong (if anything) with the motor before thinking about rebuilding it. Pointless to spend the money fixing something that's not broken or overfixing something.
    Nate | Stink Eye Mob #023

2014 WRB WRX Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by WrxNate View Post
    Pointless to spend the money fixing something that's not broken or overfixing something.
    Exactly!

Perhaps it is underperforming...but that could be as simple as a torn turbo inlet or something that will cost $100 to fix as opposed to $4000.

Even with 200k on the motor? I want it to be a dd but I want to start making it more powerful. Could I still do that on the block with 200k?

Even with 200k on the motor?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.