2002 WRX Wagon cranks, fires and immediately stalls.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2002 WRX Wagon cranks, fires and immediately stalls. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; New guy here with a puzzling issue. First let me say I am new to Sybarus but not automotive in ...

2002 WRX Wagon cranks, fires and immediately stalls.

New guy here with a puzzling issue. First let me say I am new to Sybarus but not automotive in general. This problem has me absolutely stumped. This 02 Subaru 2.0l Turbo turns over just fine, it starts to run but stalls almost immediately. Today I installed new plugs, new fuel filter, new air filter, charged the battery, put in 5gallons fresh gas and seafoam.

I have tried disconnecting the MAF, the IAC, and TPS. But still the same result. I hooked up the scanner and I don't have any codes. I towed it behind the truck and pulled it around the lot let the clutch out and she fired right up but as soon as I put the clutch in it stalled and died but if I left the clutch out again she came back to life. During the time it was running behind the the truck if you attempted to give it any throttle it would just sputter and pop and want to die. When I attach a fuel pressure gauge inline with the filter and fuel rail I get 43psi with KOEO. I can't remember what the reading was under cranking. I will re test and report.

The car has a JDM replacement engine and computer. It ran perfect when it was parked about 3mos ago. Any help is greatly appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Just realized I forgot mileage and mods.

Mileage 141,605
    Mods:

blitz ID boost controller
    Blitz ID power meter
    Blitz turbo timer
    Blitz BOV
    Catback exhaust (unsure of make)
    Short shifter
    Perrin crank pulley
    Samco silicone boots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I assume you reset the ECU when you tried starting it with the MAF unplugged?

If it was just sitting, then I would look over the electrical real good, especially looking for bad/dirty grounds.. I suppose it could be a bad crank or cam position sensor. It's hard to say really.. not a lot to go off of.

Yes I reset the ECU after I tested with the sensors unplugged.

I Support ClubWRX
    Test the fuel pressure. Check the cam and crank sensor connections. Hopefully no mice used it as a playground. Kinda sounds like it jumped timing for some reason.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Test the fuel pressure. Check the cam and crank sensor connections. Hopefully no mice used it as a playground. Kinda sounds like it jumped timing for some reason.
    I have tested fuel pressure KOEO and the pump puts out 43psi to the fuel rail. I will retest today as I forgot the reading under cranking. I also picked up a Walbro 255 that I will be installing.

I have also checked Cam position sensor and it's good I haven't had a chance to pull the timing cover just yet to check the CKP or timing gear teeth.

Update: I installed the new Walbro pump today. I have 50psi fuel pressure to the rail under cranking and when the pump is primed turning the key on. I also checked the grounds to the engine, body and battery. All were cleaned very throughly and reinstalled nice and tight. I checked and cleaned the Cam and crank sensors. I wasn't able to back probe them with the scope because I was unable to find the leads. I popped off the side timing covers and nothing was out of the ordinary. I pulled the coils and I am getting spark under cranking.

The next thing I am going to do is swap in some can and crank sensors from a motor in the shop to see what happens. I am also thinking about locating another ECM just to see if that makes any difference.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.