Subaru WRX Forum banner

what do you guys think?

952 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  trx370r 
#1 ·
So about 2 weeks ago i saw feedback knock and knock learn on my AP. A week later i get a cyl 1 misfire code and the pfff or what ever code. Not long after i get gross misfire(flashing cel). Now i hear a sound that is like a clicking or ticking sound more than a knock imo. I changed all the plugs, cyl 1 coil, fuel filter, air filter, and tested all cylinder 150psi on all. Im starting to think i have a bad cyl 1 injector causing misfire and making noise. If my cars idling or revved up parkee it sounds good, the noise is the worst at 2200-3200 rpm. If i had early rod knock on cyl 1 would that cause misfire? Mods are catback and ap v3 stage 1 93 map

#3 ·
I already read that but thanks. I understand rod knock can be heard good around 3000rpm and can sound like a tick before becoming a knock. Just so happens i hear the noise around that rpm mostly and only under load. A bad injector can cause the ticking noise and it would explain misfire but, is misfire ever a symptom of minor rod knock? This is my worry! Just put in 84hrs last week finally this week i can work on my suby lol

#4 ·
If you are concerned about bearing failure, drain the oil through a sieve and look for metal. Since the calculation for misfire takes into consideration the acceleration of the crankshaft after each ignition event, it's theoretically POSSIBLE a bearing failure would induce slop in the rotating assembly that could trigger a misfire, but it's unlikely. I'd look at much more conventional causes first (go through Donkey's entire list).

#6 ·
I just drained my oil through the filter cloth and once it all drained through i looked close with a drop light in the dark garage and cant see a single piece of metal. I had to drain it cold because i have cyl 1 and 3 injectors out but i think if metal was in the oil id see it. Oil was dirty but im at 3,000 or so mi and need a change anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.