coolant leak from behind passenger side timing cover
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on coolant leak from behind passenger side timing cover within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey dudes, just noticed i've got a leak coming from behind the timing cover. I pseudo pulled it off to ...

coolant leak from behind passenger side timing cover

Hey dudes, just noticed i've got a leak coming from behind the timing cover. I pseudo pulled it off to see if i could localize it but without tearing it completely apart i couldn't quite tell. I did timing belt with water pump about 5K miles ago and did coolant flush at that point and have not had any leaks or problems since then.

I'm kind of at a loss because i'm 2000 miles from all my tools and friends to help me work on the car. I'm living in Elkins Park, PA (20 miles North of Philly) going to optometry school and have a limited budget for things like this. Does anyone know a reputable shop that could fix this as well as do a clutch for a reasonable price? I know the clutch is a big job. Car has just over 101K on it..(did the timing before i moved to PA so that i wouldn't have to pay a mechanic out here)

Thanks.
    Josh
    Blue 08 WRX Limited-Cobb AP Stage 2-AEM CAI-Perrin Short throw/bushings-Turbosmart BPV

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You could check out RT Tuning in Lansdale. They do solid work and have a lot of Subaru experience and have decent labor charges.

As far as the leak...I'm not up to par on internals of engines. But could it possibly be coolant lines, seals, head gasket, or even something at the water pump?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Thanks Mikie, i'll look into them. As far as i could tell it was not the coolant lines. who knows. its real crappy out today and i didn't want to be messing with it too much. but i'm hoping its not as serious as head gasket....ugh. I did those on my old outback and it wasn't that bad, but i have zero way of getting it done here, so i'll be paying someone to fix it, unfortunately.
    Josh
    Blue 08 WRX Limited-Cobb AP Stage 2-AEM CAI-Perrin Short throw/bushings-Turbosmart BPV

Water pump gasket by chance if you didn't replace it. It is right about in that area you're seeing the coolant leak. Or over torqued, under torqued bolts.
    That's about as much as I know at this point though :/ hope it works out
    Stinkeye member 520

I Support ClubWRX
    On a US model car the water pump is on the driver's side of the motor, not the passenger. I'm actually at a loss as to what might be leaking under the cover from the passenger side. It'll be interesting to see what happens.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

IIRC the water pump is on the drivers' side...so i'm not sure. it was just real hard to see because i couldn't get the timing cover off all the way without removing more stuff. and it was raining. i got frustrated quickly with the whole thing.
    Josh

haha, posted at the same time as SD-GR. It almost looked as if the leak was coming from the center bolt that holds that cover on. but as i've said, the lighting was sub-optimal
    Josh

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 08wrx331 View Post
    IIRC the water pump is on the drivers' side...so i'm not sure. it was just real hard to see because i couldn't get the timing cover off all the way without removing more stuff. and it was raining. i got frustrated quickly with the whole thing.
    I can imagine. I've been through four water pumps myself. Two Subaru OEM, one Gates -- also ostensibly Subaru OEM since Gates is the maker for the US -- and finally I'm on an Aisin. Usually though the water pumps seep from the driver's side onto the bottom of the block and head, streaming backwards as the coolant is moved by wind pressure when the car goes along the road etc. On the other side, unless you've got a streamer from the pump, I'd guess it's actually something external to the cover that's pooling into the cover. Do post back and good luck.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

when i get better time and lighting i'll look into it for sure. The car needs a clutch i think anyway...might pay to have someone look at it.
    Josh

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.