Car won't start, and is blowing Engine Sensor fuse when I crank it
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Car won't start, and is blowing Engine Sensor fuse when I crank it within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well my 06 WRX decided it was time to cause some problems today. It's an 06 WRX with 155k on ...

Car won't start, and is blowing Engine Sensor fuse when I crank it

Well my 06 WRX decided it was time to cause some problems today. It's an 06 WRX with 155k on it
    It started earlier when I was cruising on a highway and while accelerating it would hesitate during the mid range, but it would be fine in the higher RPMs.

I came home, turned the car off and ran a code scanner and I got nothing. So I start the car back up and it starts, so I gave it some throttle and mid throttle the car died and wouldn't start back up. It would crank and crank but nothing. At this point I noticed that when I turn the ignition on the fan is always on, but I honestly can't remember if thats always been like that.

So I naturally assume fuel pump, so I checked the fuse box and noticed that the Engine Sensor (Knock?) fuse was blown, so I threw a new one in and it blew again after I tried to start it. So now I'm at a complete loss, because it's obviously (?) not the fuel pump at this point.

Anyone have any ideas? Or where I could start? This is my first Subaru and I'm at a complete loss here.

Thanks for any help

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User Jackstand Johnny's Avatar
    Well it sounds to me like its an electrical short of some type. Like something is grounding out, causing you to blow the knock sensor fuse and your car is losing power because its in limp mode so you dont do anymore damage to the engine. Same reason why it wont let you start the car. The ECU is trying to prevent you from doing anymore damage, even though the damae could by imaginary because its just a wiring issue.

Now Im no expert and I know next to mothing about Subarus so what I'm suggesting is just a shot in the dark. I hope someone withexperience comes along to shed some light on this. That being said I have been working on bikes and cars for a while now so Im not just saying a bunch of random stuff with no experience to back this up. Either way Im really sorry to hear about your troubles. Just keep cool and dont panic over it. Automobiles have no ulterior motive and they dont break down with no logical explanation the same way they dont just fix themselves I hope something I said helps.

Oh and as for a place to start looking, checl your other fuses, especially the ones that dont do anything major like dome lights or whatever. One thing I've been told you can try(though Ive never done it myself) involves using a multimeter or I think a test light, stickign one probe to the battery terminal and sticking the other probe to the fuses one by one. I cant remember exactly how to do this and again Im hoping someone can chime in here. Essentially by doing this youll be able to find what electrical circuit is damaged. Ill try to find the exact way on how to do this and get back to you. I learned it on a Cherokeeforum.com when I had problems with my blower motor.

This is basically what Im talking about:
    How to Use a Voltmeter to Test a Fuse Block | eHow

Thank you for the fast reply! That is also the general consensus I'm getting from friends. I'm going to have to look into that tomorrow when its light out. I just know absolutely nothing about electrical stuff unfortunately

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.