random power loss

2K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  Donkey 
#1 ·
i recently bought a 03 wrx

my car has a full catless turbo back catless up pipe VF-43 turbo k&n intake
sti TMIC stock reserc BOV

here is a good vision for who ever looks at this what my problem is

!st gear i have full power at all RPM's under boost witch it 17.5
when i go into second gear it feels like i lost half the HP. but still have my full boost
it dosent spike at all.

the same thing will happen is i pin it starting in second gear it will pull real hard but when i go into 3erd
once agian the power is not there..
please help this is my first subie

other info plugs are gaped correctly turbo is still good. thank you

#3 ·
only at idle. i have the cobb AP but the piece that holds in the wire on the AP is broken so it will fall out when i start driving . now if i get it to log do i need to get on it and how do i get the data log to who ever is going to be able to tell me whats wrong ?

#7 ·
I say this because you have a similar sounding problem to someone else on here recently and the "turbo" issue was actually the clutch
You say you're hitting target boost without issues. Now assuming all parameters are good with the ecu not pulling dam or any knock found, it still leaves the issue that power is not being transferred

#6 ·
Cobbs website has some good videos about datalogging with the AP.
The videos show you how to log and the logging values.
You won't need all the values its shows.
MainFrame can be more specific about what to log.
He is very knowledgeable.
There are lots of members who really know tuning.
And can help you interpret the data.

#8 ·
For $20 you can get a stainless clutch cable.
That may help.
We really need to see some log data to know what's going on.
Get a small piece of electrical tape, and tape the APs cord in place.
Or have another person in the car to hold the cable and run the logs.

#12 ·
For $20 you can get a stainless clutch cable.
That may help.

That's not going to have any effect on the clutch slipping or not. The only thing the upgraded clutch line should effect is pedal feel/consistency.

Yea thats what i was thinking. the clutch was replaced 3 months ago what should i log ?? AFR would be one i know that but should i log anything turbo wise ?

Once you record a couple of logs, upload them to Google Sheets (or Docs), make sure you make the upload "public" (so other people can view it), then post the link in here.

#10 ·
Cobbs website will show the top 5 things to log.
Watch the videos. It's DAM, AFR LEARNING1, BOOST,FEEDBACK KNOCK and FINE KNOCK LEARN.
Where law permitting, you want to start the log at 2500RPMS in third gear and go to like 7,000RPMS.
Make sure pedal is to the floor and throttle is wide open.
Then post the logs. The more experienced guys, will guide you from there.

#11 ·
Ok thank you guys for the help if anyone has any other opinions please let me know. I will get the data loging done asap. About the clutch i really wish that was it haha. Thats a easy fix to me. This is a very weird problem that has just left me itching my head because it dosent make sence whats going on. Could it be coil packs ??

#13 ·
Ok i pluged in the AP turned on the logs you stated and i even taped the wire to the AP unfortunately it wasent stable enuff to stay in place wile i was on it the car pulled really good so then i did it from a 5mph roll in first gear and pulled hard all through the top of 4th . Thats why this problem is such a head ache its not all the time. So ill try to get the wire stable to get the logs done and ill post them how you said.

#15 ·
Hahaha good one im going to call cobb and see if they will fix it and how much. The crapy part is the wire side of the clip has to be bent back in order to read the ecu. Its a big pain in the rear. When i drove it today i did get on it a few times the last time i did i noticed smoke from the hood i know it was oil from the smoke it was coming from between the turbo inlet pipe and intercooler right in frunt of the throttle cable i took a quick look it looks like a oil vac line. Is that a catch can and if so it might be full could that be the problem ??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.