Subaru WRX Forum banner

performed A boost leak test now seeing oil from timing belt cover..

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  WyomingWagon 
#1 ·
just performed a boost leak test on my 02 wrx. Intake system held 22 pounds like a champ not leaks. I noticed a couple drips of oil in the drive after and realized it was coming from the timing belt cover.. Did i blow a cam seal? Oil pump o ring? I have a feeling 22 pounds was a bit much. but i'm not sure exactly how hard ive screwed myself..i should add the timing belt wasa just done about 20,000 miles ago. car has 130k now. Previous owner had this done so i don't know if the cam seals were changed or not

#2 ·
You'll have to pull the cam covers and look. The cam and crank seals are not considered routine maintenance yet I did replace mine at the first timing belt change -- though they looked dry at the time. If the previous owner had it done at a shop they may not have done the seals.

#3 ·
ill have o get in there and pull the covers tomorrow. after driving the car and letting it sit the oil isnt dripping out just gathering at the bottom of the timing belt cover. a small little drip. Not as much that came out during the boost leak test. so i was definitely forcing the oil out of some type of seal. My oil cap was off..

#5 ·
I've always just capped off every line coming off the inlet and i have purge valve deleted so that is already capped. and the line from the front of the manifold that would run to it. so if im correct, no i didnt cap the crankcase breather hoses. bare with me as im still learning terminology and what have you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.