CAI Questions HELP!!!!******
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on CAI Questions HELP!!!!****** within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; jUst have a couple questions regarding my 14 wrx. right now I'm on stage 2 using the Cobb accessport . ...

CAI Questions HELP!!!!******

jUst have a couple questions regarding my 14 wrx. right now I'm on stage 2 using the Cobb accessport . I have a invidia catted downpipe and a Perrin cat back exhaust currently on the car. I had a aem cold air intake on it And used Cobbs Stage2+AEM map but I ran into over boosting and hit a fuel cut due to the CAI so I took it off and referred back to my stock intake but I want to put the CAI back on because I was getting more power that way. But I've read that I would keep over boosting and have boost creep (due to the cold weather) if I don't leave it off and keep the stock intake or would have to get an external wastgate, but I rather not because I've heard that those are ridiculously loud. Now my question being is that, would I be able to get a pro-tune or another way that would help manage boost control better to basically not have the possibility of over boosting or boost creep so that I can attach my cold air intake back on my car?. I've been on forum after forum and I couldn't find a straight answer for my questions . As you could tell I'm new at the subie game so please reframe from the harsh comments, I'm just trying to figure this whole thing out & learn more, thanks!!
    Last edited by wrxzeek; 10-21-2014 at 06:00 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If your current map does not support the intake you cannot use the intake with your current map. Period.

If you insist on using the intake you must find a map that supports it, or have someone generate one. Consider either a local vendor that can reflash your car or a remote, email-based map solution.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    If your current map does not support the intake you cannot use the intake with your current map. Period.

If you insist on using the intake you must find a map that supports it, or have someone generate one. Consider either a local vendor that can reflash your car or a remote, email-based map solution.
    I've used Cobb's Stage2+AEM and over boosted, that's when i reverted back to stock intake . Should've said that in the actual post .

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxzeek View Post
    I've used Cobb's Stage2+AEM and over boosted, that's when i reverted back to stock intake . Should've said that in the actual post .
    If you have the ability to log data consider sending those data to Cobb and asking for help.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    That's the problem with GR models. You are going to experience over boost. If you want to keep the intake on I'd try putting the stock catback on and getting more back pressure. You cannot tune out boost creep. Either that or port the wastegate or go external. You can set the external to dump back into the exhaust to keep it quieter. Most people who go external though want that loud sound so you may not find videos for it
    Stinkeye member 520

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    That's the problem with GR models. You are going to experience over boost. If you want to keep the intake on I'd try putting the stock catback on and getting more back pressure. You cannot tune out boost creep. Either that or port the wastegate or go external. You can set the external to dump back into the exhaust to keep it quieter. Most people who go external though want that loud sound so you may not find videos for it
    Wrong, He should not be experiencing any boost creep with the catted downpipe what so ever... the EJ255's and EJ257's sometimes experience boost creep with catless downpipes.

OP, you need to reinstall everything (so make sure your AEM CAI is installed as well as your aftermarket catted downpipe) reflash your stage 2+AEM map and data log the boost creep then send it to COBB as there is obviously some sort of issue with the MAP you are running. This MAP should not have significant boost creep with catted downpipe.

On a side note, what kind of peak boosts were you seeing?
    Last edited by McBill; 10-22-2014 at 09:13 AM.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned by Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Did you have boost creep, or did it over boost at the onset? Creep cannot be tuned out, overboost can, rather easily.

As far as not wanting an EWG, they really are that much better. It will only be loud when you floor the car and it hits max boost.. don't want it to ever be loud (probably shouldn't be flooring it on the street anyways)? Then just plumb the dump tube back into the exhaust down stream. There's no reason you would HAVE to dump to atmosphere.. in fact, several exhaust setups already come with it routed back in (like Perrin).

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    When I first had my car Protuned, it over boosted a little bit.
    This happens, without any creep. I asked tuner to adjust map.
    No more over boosting by 2-3 psi. I have a stage2 setup, no boost creep at all with catted down pipe.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    When I first had my car Protuned, it over boosted a little bit.
    This happens, without any creep. I asked tuner to adjust map.
    No more over boosting by 2-3 psi. I have a stage2 setup, no boost creep at all with catted down pipe.

Exactly.. if it's over shooting target boost at onset (like if you floor it at 2500rpm in 4th, turbo spools->spikes->fuel cut) all you should need to do is dial back WGDC a little in that part of the map.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Did you have boost creep, or did it over boost at the onset? Creep cannot be tuned out, overboost can, rather easily.

As far as not wanting an EWG, they really are that much better. It will only be loud when you floor the car and it hits max boost.. don't want it to ever be loud (probably shouldn't be flooring it on the street anyways)? Then just plumb the dump tube back into the exhaust down stream. There's no reason you would HAVE to dump to atmosphere.. in fact, several exhaust setups already come with it routed back in (like Perrin).
    Honestly I think I just over boosted . But alot of the other forums I've read was mentioning Boost creep so I figured that boost creep comes along with having a CAI so I could be mistaken, my bad if I am.

Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    Wrong, He should not be experiencing any boost creep with the catted downpipe what so ever... the EJ255's and EJ257's sometimes experience boost creep with catless downpipes.

OP, you need to reinstall everything (so make sure your AEM CAI is installed as well as your aftermarket catted downpipe) reflash your stage 2+AEM map and data log the boost creep then send it to COBB as there is obviously some sort of issue with the MAP you are running. This MAP should not have significant boost creep with catted downpipe.

At the time i couldn't tell or log anything because I took out my accessport at the time & 1 of my friends wanted to run it on the highway real quick, I couldn't refuse lol .. and that's when I hit the fuel cut, I couldn't see the spike without the gauges of the accessport. :/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post

No with higher flowing air even catted downpipes sometimes don't have enough back pressure and can allow for boost creep. Even cobb says that even with the k and n drop in could cause it
    Stinkeye member 520

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxzeek View Post
    At the time i couldn't tell or log anything because I took out my accessport at the time & 1 of my friends wanted to run it on the highway real quick, I couldn't refuse lol .. and that's when I hit the fuel cut, I couldn't see the spike without the gauges of the accessport. :/
    To me that just sounds like an overboost. But do a log and post to better understand. You can also overboost without hitting fuel cut and throwing the light unfortunately
    Stinkeye member 520

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Run some logs see what your boost is at WOT in 3rd gear.
    You can also download the low waste gate map from Cobbs website.
    More than likely there's a slight over boost, and like Mainframe said over boost can be easily tuned out.
    We need to know what it's hitting at WOT.
    And what the max boost looks like, also remember this is plus or minus one.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

I Support ClubWRX
    No with higher flowing air even catted downpipes sometimes don't have enough back pressure and can allow for boost creep. Even cobb says that even with the k and n drop in could cause it
    I've still never heard of any boost creep with a catted downpipe on the 2.5l's no matter the intake. However, I have heard and seen of some slight over boosting. Maybe you are mistaking boost creep for over boosting like OP has. It's a common misconception but I assure you the two terms have entirely different meanings.
    Last edited by McBill; 10-22-2014 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Grammar Nazied myself... again
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned by Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.