coolant forming ontop of radiator
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on coolant forming ontop of radiator within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just pulled my motor(03' WRX), used the Subaru Additive smoothy crap for the first time. I used long life(green antifreeze) ...

coolant system pressurizing

Just pulled my motor(03' WRX), used the Subaru Additive smoothy crap for the first time. I used long life(green antifreeze) went and drove the car today and there is seepage forming on the top of the radiator where the metal fins are bent over, it looks pretty much consistent all the way across the radiator.

I bled the system from the turbo reservoir with one of those no spill funnels, pressed the hoses etc while performing the bleed. The car is not overheating, but its obviously leaking from the top of the radiator.

Is there still air in the system? How many times are you suppose to bleed it? Am I sol at this point with the radiator?

Edit: I guess its a good thing it was just a short trip, l just looked at it again and my coolant pipes were pretty bulged, system is full of air. I removed the caps and it equalized. Should I re bleed it?

How I did it:
    car running
    turbo reservoir cap off with no spill funnel attached and full of liquid
    radiator cap on
    let it warm up to normal operating condition, etc.
    removed the funnel put cap on.
    drove it.
    Last edited by Tooled; 10-09-2014 at 07:55 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I always do it with the radiator cap off. and let it idle for a while

So its okay to leave the radiator cap off while the turbo reservoir + funnel is on there full of coolant?

thanks for the prompt reply.

which is the highest point in the system? i dont remember lol
    you need to cap the lower point and fill from the highest.

Lowest point is from the radiator, the turbo coolant reservoir is the highest point. Which is how I did it. Do you think the system is sucking in air somewhere?

Also on a side note, even doing a pure cold start, the radiator fans are kicking on instantaneously. I doubt its related, but wanted to ask on that also, I guess I'll try re bleeding it then.

it wouldnt suck in air, being under pressure with both caps on, it would push air/water out.

I wonder if the fan relay is stuck on?

Yeah I dont know, I drove it yesterday when I did it and there wasnt any issue. Drove it to the store and back today and now the end tanks are just seeping. So is the radiator shot at this point then? I hate to keep re doing it if the radiator is shot now. I just dont get how the air pockets formed, bled the system for nearly a half hour.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooled View Post
    Yeah I dont know, I drove it yesterday when I did it and there wasnt any issue. Drove it to the store and back today and now the end tanks are just seeping. So is the radiator shot at this point then?
    I would suspect so, yes.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

take it to your local shop, or maybe autozone can do it, and have a pressure test done.

So its 50/50 from what I've read on the internet.

People leave the radiator cap on, and fill the system with a no spill funnel from the turbo reservoir, which is how I did it - and what I thought was the proper approach.

Others have said the opposite - put the turbo reservoir cap on, and fill it from the radiator filler neck with the no spill funnel.

Which is it?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Fill from the upper reservoir.. but if it's leaking, it's just time for a new radiator.

That looks like the approach its heading. Ordered a new Koyo rad, should be here tomorrow....Unbelievable, but believable.

Just curious though, I had topped off the coolant overflow container and it was nearly 1/4-1/2" below the "low" line, will that suck air into the system if its not completely full? I mean the system was packed full of coolant when I did the bleed, no more was going in from the no-spill funnel.

Try again tomorrow and see where I'm at. Can't believe the system pressurized that bad though.

thanks for the responses.

There doesn't need to be anything in the overflow.. that's just what it is, overflow, to keep it from spilling out on the ground when the car gets hot.

I'm thinking about doing the thermostat tomorrow as well while I've got this radiator out, I can't get a hold of an actual OEM one(gates?) from the dealer for a few days.

Anyone have success with the brands "fail-safe" or "stant" - napa brand obviously. Or should I just wait it out and get the right one. I hate doing things twice, I can't imagine the thermostat being an issue at 83k though.
    Last edited by Tooled; 10-07-2014 at 07:11 PM.

I wouldn't worry about it.. I can't recall anyone having an OEM thermostat fail. I would just reuse it.. with new seals.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.