Subaru WRX Forum banner

about how much should it cost to get a hood painted and installed?

6K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Impreza2.0 
#1 ·
hello, I bought a 2003 WRX (sedan) about a month ago now and when i bought it the hood was jacked because previous owner wanted to put it in "hood pins" but the idiot didn't even cut the holes correctly and basically jacked a perfectly good hood. Anyway, i have already purchased a genuine subaru hood for it and I plan on getting it painted and installed as soon as i have enough $. The hood i bought was straight through a subaru dealership (i probably got screwed on price) anyway it came unpainted just primed. So my question is about how much should it cost me to get the new hood painted and installed on my car?? A friend told me there probably gonna try to talk me into painting the whole car but I am NOT gonna do that. Any info on this topic would be great, and obviously i plan on calling a few body shops and getting a quote but what do you guys think would be a fair price for painting and installing the hood?

#2 ·
Depending on the color, World rally blue? the paint is near $180 a pint. Add clear coat and other supplies that a body shop charges for, it get's expensive quick. I had a fender done on my 2008 WRX in WRB, it cost me $500 to hand the new, perfectly good fender to them, have it painted, and walk away. It all depends on where you bring it, there is no right or wrong answer. I would expect anywhere from $600-$1,000 if no body work is needed. Good luck.

#3 ·
thanks for the info but i really hope it won't cost me that much :(...My cars color is "midnight black pearl" not rally blue. Well I guess it doesn't really matter how much it's gonna cost it will get done eventually since i already spent 800 on the new hood. but the more it's gonna cost the longer it's gonna take for me to get it done...

#4 · (Edited)
Your best bet is find a new painted stock hood being swapped for carbon, etc.
Otherwise the cost of painting one large panel is nearly the same as the whole car, because:
the booth is prepared for your new color,
the painter is prepared for your new color,
the piece is stripped of any hardware,
finished with their primer, masks, plugs, wire cover or tape,
finished again,
cleaned,
painted,
the booth is evacuated, a $50 electric cost for one shot...,
the painter SHOULD be reprepared for clearcoat while the booth evacuates,
piece is cleaned again... lol,
clearcoat is applied,
booth is evacuated...
about 4 hours later two people can move the piece to a non-dustless environment,
24 hours later a liquid sealant wax can be applied,
Door hardware is reassembled.

most shops do all of this, since a warranty means redoing the whole thing again at their expense.

you get what you pay for.
there's always just finding a not-too obnoxious carbon alternative.

in the case of bringing an empty, new door shell to a painter, that saves a good $80 off the labor time.

Just wondering, is it a bugeye or a blobeye, and do you have pics of the present situation, or just pics of the car?

I have hood locks... you can do better than pins. They aren't too noticeable compared to ring pin lockdowns... and,
i'd be an idiot to have built this car this way and not have added security. If I were you, I'd take a couple of pics and show us the holes.
I would bet theres a solution that uses the holes well, unless the hood was used as a park bench... which has happened, our hoods cannot support an infant at the nose. A design flaw that can save our lives in an accident.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.