Modded 02 WRX Smoking

This is a discussion on Modded 02 WRX Smoking within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi everyone. I've got an 02 wrx, catless 3" tbe, snorkel delete with k&n drop in filter, and COBB ap, ...

Modded 02 WRX Smoking

Hi everyone. I've got an 02 wrx, catless 3" tbe, snorkel delete with k&n drop in filter, and COBB ap, set on stage 2 93 octane map. Car has aboot 89k miles. Was bone stock one owner wagon with 80k miles when I bought it with maintenance records and all the good stuff. Well when I first got it I put the cobb ap stage 1 tune and cbe on. Then about a week and a half ago I put on an invidia v2 catless downpipe and loaded up the stage 2 tune. Ever since, I've been noticing whitish smoke coming from the tail pipe. Only happens once it is warm and being on a hill facing up seems to intensify it. I know most assume coolant or water with white smoke but it smells like burning oil, no coolant smell whatsoever. Coolant is full and pure green. Oil is normal in coloration and smell, going on 3000 miles since the last oil change and it is just below the E on the dipstick testing it cold. When I first put the downpipe on I heard a whistle that to me didn't sound normal for a turbo spooling, my first thought was a leak, though I did visually inspect the downpipe turbo connection and it looked to be sealed. Any ideas? Does this sound like a head gasket? Or maybe just a pcv valve? Turbo seals? Im scheduled for a compression test Tuesday. Am I taking the right steps?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Probably normal and from you being catless.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Probably normal and from you being catless.
    That's what I thought at first but the amount of smoke has increased so much, it's almost embarrassing at times.

I Support ClubWRX
    Well,that's not good. I would get a coolant analysis done as well. It will check for combustion gases/carbon in the coolant. Tell tale sign of a blown head gasket.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Oh yeah I forgot aboot that. I'll have that done on Tuesday with the comp test.

I Support ClubWRX
    Also a sticking PCV valve can cause ecessive oil burning.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I thought about that as well. But I haven't looked in to how to test it yet, or if there's even a way to.

I Support ClubWRX
    Just replace it or clean it out.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by flatfour02 View Post
    I thought about that as well. But I haven't looked in to how to test it yet, or if there's even a way to.
    If you take it out and shake it
    If it clicks nice it's fine and new...if it doesn't make a noise or dull thud it's gunked or stuck.
    I'd replace it anyway...They're supposed to be replaced at a certain interval but can't remember

Okay so today I looked around some more in the engine bay and saw some smoke coming from the turbo area, first thought was turbo seals. Looked around and noticed it was coming from the pipe coming in to the turbo (up pipe?). It was wet with oil, and so was the area around the air oil separator. So I'm assuming that would be a clear sign of a bad separator/gasket? That would explain the smoke from the tailpipe to then right? Just trying to confirm.

Nobody has a clue?

I Support ClubWRX
    Probably either leaking from the turbo oil feed or the turbo oil return line. Unfortunately there is only so much we can diagnose over the internet. Powerwash/clean the area and then look for where the oil is coming from. These cars do not come with an oil/air seperator from the factory. Take good ,quality pictures and post.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Well yesterday I got my compression test done and it didn't turn out so well. Cylinder 3 has low compression but there are no signs of a bad head gasket. So today it will hopefully be getting a leak down test and we'll see where it's coming from.

Hopefully it's not too bad, keep us posted

Well turns out it's a valve. The garage quoted me around $3000 to get it fixed, which includes new timing belt, water pump, valves, and head gaskets. Now my concern is I'm going to dump $3k in to getting the head fixed and 10k miles down the road the bottom end could go. The way I see it, if the thing is going to be out and apart I might as well cover everything. Did some research and found a place in Bath, NY called Broken Boxer Repair. Home Page. Their website says they'll do a full long block rebuild for around $2900. I can easily remove and reinstall the engine myself, I'm just wondering if anybody has had experience with this shop? If I get no answers I'll see about posting in a regional forum somewhere.