Oil change help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Oil change help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys I'm new to the whole subaru scene and would like some help. Yes I researched this myself already ...

Oil change help

Hey guys I'm new to the whole subaru scene and would like some help. Yes I researched this myself already but I still have a little hesitation about what oil is best to use for an oil change? I don't care about the warranty but I also read about how some people use a different type of oil from what's recommended by subaru and start having problems. My question is what's the best oil to use for occasionally hard driving nothing to exaggerated but you know hitting boost here and there. Thanks guys hope you guys can help me out

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_WRX View Post
    Hey guys I'm new to the whole subaru scene and would like some help. Yes I researched this myself already but I still have a little hesitation about what oil is best to use for an oil change? I don't care about the warranty but I also read about how some people use a different type of oil from what's recommended by subaru and start having problems. My question is what's the best oil to use for occasionally hard driving nothing to exaggerated but you know hitting boost here and there. Thanks guys hope you guys can help me out
    I just changed my oil in my 2013 STI and went to NAPA and got the 5w-30 synthetic.

Yeah isn't that the normal factory recommendations? I was just just wondering what are other options aside from 5w-30 that would work better

I personally would not stray from what is recommended in a turbo car, because my car has about 4500 miles on it and it came up a half quart short on the oil. It seems to be quite important to these cars as far as specs. I hit boost quite often and feel this is what is best with the high heat. So check your oil often, and just go with what is recommended, from what you described that is just normal operating conditions, no need to change from what is recommended.

...what's the best oil to use for occasionally hard driving nothing to exaggerated but you know hitting boost here and there.
    That's what the car is designed for. If the oil Subaru put in these cars couldn't cope with people "hitting boost here and there", they'd have many, many warranty claims.

Okay thanks guys I'll stick to 5W-30 any recommendations on which brand is best? Yeah I was just wondering since I read of people using 5w-40 I believe because it's a little better but the only issue is that many people stick to 5w-30 because they don't want to void warranty

Any suggestions on what oil brand you guys recommend?

I just changed mine with Mobil 1 10w30. No complaints, little better protection for the summer, as I'll probably use 5w30 in colder temps. Just a personal preference

I used NAPA oil…no complaints

Okay thanks. Yeah im in Texas so summer days are super hot here, I heard a lot of people use Mobil 1 so I guess I'll give that a try. Thanks guys

Let us know how it works out! I also used a WIX filter and have been very happy

Bill Freakin Murray TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

I just started using Amsoil signature series full synthetic 5W-30 it is high quality a friend from here recommended it.
    The best oil I have used. A little pricey at the store, but you can buy it direct and get a deal. You always want the best gas and oil you can get for the health of your car.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

Thanks guys. I went with Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30 and a K & N filter, we'll see how my car takes it after that lol

Bill Freakin Murray TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Next time get the Amsoil Signature series 5W-30 and either a Subaru or Wix filter.
    I haven't heard of people using the K&N filter, our cars are picky about oil filters, so be careful.
    If you see the ads on these pages the Amsoil ad comes up constantly, at least check them out.
    Mobile one is a popular choice as is Rotella T6, but personally I use Amsoil and Subaru oil filters.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

I wouldn't use m1 or that k&n filter. The filter will not meet the bypass valve specs. The only filters that will meet the spec are OEM, Wix (I believe gold) or a Mazda OEM (search for the pn)

Lots of folks have had issues with m1. You have to get the right one, if you get the energy conservation version it's basically the worst oil you can put in a subaru.

I use OEM filters and Amsoil XL 5w-30. I'm at 4900 miles and haven't used any oil. I'll change the oil in another 1100 miles and stick with 3k intervals.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast