Cobb filter fell off without knowing

This is a discussion on Cobb filter fell off without knowing within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys I have a question for my friends car. He has a 2011 sti and he just noticed that ...

Cobb filter fell off without knowing

Hey guys I have a question for my friends car. He has a 2011 sti and he just noticed that his cobb air filter came off. He has been driving the car without it. He has the box so it was hard to notice it. What kind of damage can that do to the engine?
    JOE
    2013 WRX DGM
    Stink Eye Mob #82

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jsantos1082 View Post
    Hey guys I have a question for my friends car. He has a 2011 sti and he just noticed that his cobb air filter came off. He has been driving the car without it. He has the box so it was hard to notice it. What kind of damage can that do to the engine?
    The role of a filter is to filter air so that no particulate matter enters the engine. The role of a filter is not to maximize flow, yet many imitation filter makers emphasize that and don't explain how it's possible without allowing more dirt in at the same time. Anyway: Dirt increases wear. Dirt is never good in a motor.

If the car is not tuned for the Cobb intake, I'd consider switching back to the authentic Subaru intake. I've yet to see anyone, anywhere, show reproducible data proving an aftermarket intake filters air better than the Subaru intake. (Data in this case means statistically significant used oil analyses showing decreased levels of particulates, wear metals, and silicone). Nobody has shown this.

If the car is tuned for the Cobb intake, replace the air filter. Clean the MAF, replace the oil and oil filter, and go about life. What's done is done.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The role of a filter is to filter air so that no particulate matter enters the engine. The role of a filter is not to maximize flow, yet many imitation filter makers emphasize that and don't explain how it's possible without allowing more dirt in at the same time. Anyway: Dirt increases wear. Dirt is never good in a motor.

If the car is not tuned for the Cobb intake, I'd consider switching back to the authentic Subaru intake. I've yet to see anyone, anywhere, show reproducible data proving an aftermarket intake filters air better than the Subaru intake. (Data in this case means statistically significant used oil analyses showing decreased levels of particulates, wear metals, and silicone). Nobody has shown this.

If the car is tuned for the Cobb intake, replace the air filter. Clean the MAF, replace the oil and oil filter, and go about life. What's done is done.

Yeah he is tuned for it with the AP. Thanks!
    JOE
    2013 WRX DGM
    Stink Eye Mob #82

Running without a filter is never a good idea... fairly obvious statement. Whether or not you friend has damaged his engine depends on several factors:
    - The duration of time the car was run without a filter
    - The cleanliness of the air
    - Whether the MAF readings got messed up due to the new airflow path

As long as the car was not run for a significant amount of time, in a dirty environment (dusty roads, construction, etc.) they might be OK. If otherwise, there might be scoring to the cylinder walls which could lead to serious issues down the road.

Additionally, if the lack of a filter caused the airflow to significantly deviate from what the car was tuned for, the MAF readings could be all over the place causing rich/lean conditions. In that case, the car would likely have felt a little off... rough idle, loss of power, etc.

That being said, like SD_GR said, what's done is done.
    2002 OBP WRX - Stage II - "Black Betty"
    1987 Subaru GL Wagon - Stock - "Mr. Ratburn" - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are.

Instagram: Infamouszoltan
    Tumblr: Turbospooledtreflip

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jsantos1082 View Post
    Yeah he is tuned for it with the AP. Thanks!
    OK then replace, clean, change oil etc. If you are curious and have $50 burning a hole in your pocket you might send off a sample of the used oil for analysis. The metals and silicone should be through the roof. (In fact if you do this, tell them what happened so they have some sort of context to explain the bizarre data they'll be collecting).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

It gon blow'd up.

Or not. It will be fine. The amount of particulates entering in the box won't be that much. If you're worried, heed the other advice in here.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

My friend is nervous, but I told him what's done is done. Thanks for your replies guys!
    JOE
    2013 WRX DGM
    Stink Eye Mob #82