AIR RELEASE SOUND WITH A/C ON

This is a discussion on AIR RELEASE SOUND WITH A/C ON within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I recently bought my first WRX about a month ago and shortly thereafter a few things started happening when I ...

AIR RELEASE SOUND WITH A/C ON

I recently bought my first WRX about a month ago and shortly thereafter a few things started happening when I turn the A/C on.

When the car is running I switch the A/C on and immediately I hear a pressure release sound come from somewhere in the engine and I also feel the car lose power for a moment. I know the a/c compressor uses power for the engine but I didn't think it should be that drastic? No codes are showing up on my scanner and I am not familiar with these cars very much yet. Any advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Pretty sure this is normal--mine has done the same thing since day one.
    2014 WRB WRX

Quote Originally Posted by joshmc106 View Post
    I recently bought my first WRX about a month ago and shortly thereafter a few things started happening when I turn the A/C on.

When the car is running I switch the A/C on and immediately I hear a pressure release sound come from somewhere in the engine and I also feel the car lose power for a moment. I know the a/c compressor uses power for the engine but I didn't think it should be that drastic? No codes are showing up on my scanner and I am not familiar with these cars very much yet. Any advice?
    This is normal. The A/C compressor puts a lot of resistance on the crank. Feeling an "drag" or "slump" in the power is perfectly normal. You will feel this drag every time the A/C compressor kicks in while the A/C is on.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Yea I have a 02 and I was thinking the same thing josh, The loss of power is annoying its like u have to drive completely different at least with a manual longer in between shifts and foot on the gas longer to get to proper RPMs its like the car is working 50%+ harder to get the RPMs up and as for the sound I only hear it when I first start my car then go and turn the air on. I noticed when you let the car warm up real good first then turn it on the sound is gone and just hear the sound of the a/c clutch/belt taking load. I hate that the compressor turns off and on tho as often as it does cause the loss of power while shifting throws me off if im not ready for it or expecting it! I normally only turn the air on if I really really cant take it and even then sometimes I don't lol like I will turn it on when I catch a red light and off when it goes green if its a long light ha