Engine Breaking Squeal? Help Diagnose this PLEASE

This is a discussion on Engine Breaking Squeal? Help Diagnose this PLEASE within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So last week I noticed that when I would make a right turn in 1st gear and sometimes when I ...

I Support ClubWRX

Engine Breaking Squeal? Help Diagnose this PLEASE

So last week I noticed that when I would make a right turn in 1st gear and sometimes when I would start in 1st there would be a high pitched squeeling, but only up until 5-10mph. This would only happen randomly.
    Now when I'm engine breaking there is a different pitched sqeal. It's not as loud as the previous squeal I talked about, but still audible. What is going on? When I push in the clutch it disappears. This ONLY happens while in gear.

Thanks a lot guys.
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium

Torqued Performance Stage 2, Invidia Catless Divorced Wastegate Downpipe, Perrin Heat Shield, Cobb Knob, Kartboy Short Shifter, Kartboy Front & Rear Shifter Bushings, STRi 52mm Amber Boost Gauge, SMY ClusterMaker Pod, Subaru OEM Black WRX Ornaments

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've got no ideas, but could you please help us out by including a video with the sound?
    David - '05 WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    That's going to be a little hard. It's not that loud and my exhaust pretty much over powers it. I actually just went for a drive to do a data log and it is more like a grinding noise. Didn't happen at first, but after ten minutes it was back.
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium

Torqued Performance Stage 2, Invidia Catless Divorced Wastegate Downpipe, Perrin Heat Shield, Cobb Knob, Kartboy Short Shifter, Kartboy Front & Rear Shifter Bushings, STRi 52mm Amber Boost Gauge, SMY ClusterMaker Pod, Subaru OEM Black WRX Ornaments

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The first one sounds like a belt. Power steering draws more on that belt when turning sharply and low RPM is most common.

The second one is something to do with the drivetrain and I'd get it checked out ASAP.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    So I've read a couple different things about this grinding sound. Two things included tire pressure and heat shield. Both of which I did yesterday. I tapped on the heatshield and noticed a slight take. I must of installed it too far forward so I loosened the bolts and slid it a little back.no more rattle.I then replaced my previous higher Tire pressure and went for a drive. Seems as though the problem went away. As for the intermittent squealing, I move the Hartsfield behind the front tires back because my father said it might be a bearing hitting them while turning (he is a long time service manager at a subaru dealership) and I haven't heard that problem either.I'll let you know if any of those sounds return. In the mean time feel free to check out my build log!!
    Last edited by SubaruWRXJosh; 08-10-2014 at 02:36 PM.
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium

I started to get a screeching noise while engine braking in gear at about 97k in my 06. Turned out to be the pilot bearing.

I Support ClubWRX
    Oh I forgot to mention that it came back and I figured it out. I forgot to put in the bolt on the downpipe hanger and the vibrations of engine breaking was making a screeching sounds when the downpipe scrapped against the hangar. Loosened up the downpipe, put in the bolt, and haven't heard the sound since.I'm still getting the squeaking sound on first gear while turning though. It only starts about a half hour into driving which is strange and it only happens in first gear.
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium