2014 WRX Misfire

This is a discussion on 2014 WRX Misfire within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi all, I am new here. Just bought my WRX in December and haven't even had the chance to start ...

2014 WRX Misfire

Hi all,

I am new here. Just bought my WRX in December and haven't even had the chance to start modding the car. I have had it back to the dealer four times now due to misfiring issues. The first three times it threw a CEL. The last time it didn't throw the light, but it flat out stalled on me. Now, after the last time, the dealer contacted Subaru of America, and they say there is nothing wrong with it. I am so done with this car. Has anyone out there had similar issues?

Background on what they said was wrong the first three times:

First time, reset the ECU which cleared the light, returned it to me said no further action was necessary.

Second, its cause it's hot in Arizona (BULLS^%&) replaced wire harness with cylinder ground wires.

Third, voltage fluctuations cause by Arizona heat and damaged battery due to replaced wire harness from previous visit.

Fourth, no issue detected. Driving it home, it sputters at traffic lights occasionally. I shouldn't have to deal with this in a new car with 9000 miles on it and no mods whatsoever. Always used premium (91 Octane here in PHX).

I'm at a loss here. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have a 2013 WRX and have had zero issues...and it's hot as hell here in San Juan PR! Is your engine the 2.5 liter? I would assume so but not sure if they changed to the 2.0 liter in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by lkft View Post
    I have a 2013 WRX and have had zero issues...and it's hot as hell here in San Juan PR! Is your engine the 2.5 liter? I would assume so but not sure if they changed to the 2.0 liter in 2014.
    Yea it's still the 2.5 L. And I've yet to find anyone with a newer model that has no mods and has this issue. Even a friend who have modded carelessly (bolting on parts left and right with no tune), has had no issues. I'm just unlucky.

No mods here either. Anyway, don't give up. Take it back to the dealer five hundred times if you have to until they get it right.

Arizona has a lemon law:

https://www.azag.gov/consumer/cars

Other options:

Contact Subaru of America.

Try another dealer. There must be more than one in metro Phoenix. (Or not. When I was car shopping in Tucson back in '98, I recall that there was only one dealer there then.)

Have they done a compression test and has the vehicle been service on time and with the correct type of oil, and with a subaru filter?

The lemon law will only kick in if the car throws a CEL one more time. I have no doubt that it will do so again soon.
    Yes, compression test, serviced on time with correct oil and filter all done.

I guess I was more just looking to see if anyone else out there was having a similar issue. I don't plan on fixing this one myself. At 9K miles, i shouldn't have to. Thanks for all the responses guys...

Update for others who may encounter this issue:

Dealer ended up replacing the engine wiring harness entirely. For a few weeks, the car was fine. I can't legally say that the car was a lemon, but I no longer have the vehicle. When I returned the vehicle, I was noticing occasional missing. So, I never figured out what the problem was or if it was ever fixed. Good luck if you ever encounter this.....

That will probably be my last Subaru for a while. Maybe I will be back one day.. Fun car to drive. I just had two bad experiences back to back and it was a headache. So long Subaru....

Quote Originally Posted by bprinsloo View Post
    Update for others who may encounter this issue:

Dealer ended up replacing the engine wiring harness entirely. For a few weeks, the car was fine. I can't legally say that the car was a lemon, but I no longer have the vehicle. When I returned the vehicle, I was noticing occasional missing. So, I never figured out what the problem was or if it was ever fixed. Good luck if you ever encounter this.....

That will probably be my last Subaru for a while. Maybe I will be back one day.. Fun car to drive. I just had two bad experiences back to back and it was a headache. So long Subaru....
    Sorry to hear, that really sucks tii. Hopefully subaru picks up their slack

I wonder if it's related to the evap problem as well?