Idle/Rev TPS Problem
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Idle/Rev TPS Problem within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi guys, I'm having an issue with my 05 STI. To start, the car just got a brand long block ...

Idle/Rev TPS Problem

Hi guys, I'm having an issue with my 05 STI.
    To start, the car just got a brand long block & many other bolt on type stuff. Everything was working fine on the 5 hour drive home.
    The car needed to be aligned so this week I changed the front axles, tightened some manifold bolts that seemed to be a bit loose & also removed the fuel rail because a couple of the O rings seemed to be a bit leaky.
    After I started the car I noticed right off the bat the 1500rpm idle, I wasn't thinking too much of it since the battery had been out for a while & everything, so I waited a few minutes, nothing changed.
    I then realized when I pressed the throttle pedal down, the car would only, slowly rev up to 2250rpms.
    I am throwing a tps code.
    Have any of you had this problem?
    I have replugged everything back in, & still the same issues
    Its almost like its in a tight limp mode.
    Heres a short video of the issue.
    Ttttt - YouTube
    I'm still fairly new to the Subaru game, any educated input would be great.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Check the TB connection
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

had basically same thing on my 09 wrx after long block replacement. as noted above, try the TB connection. Also, new motor, they probably didn't clean out the TB, which they should have. Get some throttle body cleaner and clean it out. Also did research on this when I had the problem, might need to clean out the TGV.

Quote Originally Posted by jayslee07 View Post
    had basically same thing on my 09 wrx after long block replacement. as noted above, try the TB connection. Also, new motor, they probably didn't clean out the TB, which they should have. Get some throttle body cleaner and clean it out. Also did research on this when I had the problem, might need to clean out the TGV.
    I will mess with the connection again & clean the TB.
    I forgot to mention TGV are deleted (the car does have a base tune on it, & the tgv are tuned out)
    I appreciate your input!

PM'ed you, there are several different things to try, process of elimination.

I cleaned the tps, cleaned the throttle body & everything else I could think of, still the same problem..
    I had the intake manifold off prior to all of this, is there anything I could have not put back together right or something that would cause this sort of issue?

I believe there's gaskets between the intake manifold and TGV, if they aren't in place perfectly it could cause a problem. I think I've read before that even some people had to have the TGV replaced, but a lot of people do something called a TGV delete. I've had no experience with that though.

I do have tgv deletes, the car is tuned for the delete though.
    Like I said, the car ran fine before the manifold, intercooler, & everything else was off.
    But now I'm having this issue, I mean maybe the tps sensor itself could have went bad, but I feel like its a different issue since everything was fine before.

I finally got some time today to mess with the car more. Having the intercooler off & throttle body off the manifold, but everything still plugged in, I pressed the pedal & the the blade didn't move.
    So, I'm assuming its either the sensor on the pedal or the sensor on the tb itself.
    I'm going to test the voltage on each sensor, any other ideas while I'm doing this?

may be a dumb question, but when you pressed the pedal, did you make sure your key was turned forward? since the pedal is electronic sensor, the key needs to be turned the whole way forward (last position before starting the car).

Sorry, forgot to add, the car was started/running while testing this.
    Last edited by CalebPatton; 08-29-2014 at 05:54 PM.

So, after a completely new pedal, new throttle body, same issues..
    Is it possible a certain line could be the problem?
    Could a vacuum line or anything related actually be the issue?
    I just can't see it not letting the car rev up, but who knows..

One thing I haven't tried after doing some more research is the relay under the glovebox.

I Support ClubWRX
    Buy a mechanic's vacuum gauge and hook it up.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.