09 Wrx running on 3 cylinders, compression is fine. What next?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 09 Wrx running on 3 cylinders, compression is fine. What next? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am having a bit of difficulty figuring out what is plaguing my car. I am running a 20g swapped ...

Question 09 Wrx running on 3 cylinders, compression is fine. What next?

I am having a bit of difficulty figuring out what is plaguing my car. I am running a 20g swapped 09 WRX with full bolt ons and pushing 331hp/351tq at the wheels. Stock internals. The other day on my way to work the car started running rough intermittently. (low power, strong vibrations etc) It would happen for about 5 seconds then go away completely. I finally pulled over and got a tow home when it started running rough continuously. There was no CEL, however the roughness counter on cylinder 3 was counting rapidly up to 100 over and over again. Raw fuel smell from exhaust as well.

The first thing I tried was swapping the coil packs to no effect. Car was still not really running on cylinder 3.

I tested compression on cylinder 3 only and got 127 psi

The plug looked fine, nice golden brown and and I tested the spark with the plug out of the car and it appeared strong.

I am a little stumped. Cylinder 3 obviously seems to be getting fuel as I can smell raw fuel in the exhaust, and my coil packs are fine and there is a strong spark. Any ideas what I should look at next?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

09 Wrx running on 3 cylinders, compression is fine. What next?

It may not be getting all that at once I guess. I'd be tempted to swap injectors. If the problem doesn't move to another cyl I'd suspect wiring.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Do another compression test, and with the rest of the cylinders as well. What are they getting?
    Then do a leakdown test.
    My car did that almost exactly when I had a slightly burnt valve causing bad compression.

I Support ClubWRX
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    127 PSI is low...
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm betting the others will be similar and hoping compression is ok for the OP.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I'm betting the others will be similar and hoping compression is ok for the OP.
    Me too.

I'll start by finishing the compression test. I know 127psi isn't optimal but the car does have 72K miles on it. In my head anyway I couldn't see 127psi causing it to not run at all on that cylinder, but I could be completely off base.

If my numbers are all around that area I'll swap injectors and see if that makes a difference , but they are pretty new ID1000s.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, if it turns out to be valves or piston related I suppose I have an engine build in my near future.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.