assuming this is a steering problem
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on assuming this is a steering problem within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; im not sure whats wrong but when i start driving there is this ticking sound coming from the drivers side ...

Registered User subaru4life2009's Avatar
    Twin Mountain, New Hampshire, United States

assuming this is a steering problem

im not sure whats wrong but when i start driving there is this ticking sound coming from the drivers side tire. when i turn it doesnt get worse or go away. when i stop it goes away. its "quiet" at first but gets worse after like 10 minutes and is worse going down hill. the steering wheel has gotten tight on me a few times when turning. but i didnt really realize or think of it till now so idk which way i was turning. but i was thinking maybe the cv joint but not totaly sure any thoughts? and idk if this is the spot for this post

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Could be many things. A ticking noise coming from the wheel could be as simple as a stone or screw stuck in your tire. It could also be a wheel bearing or, as you say, CV joint. Jack it up, put one hand on the top of the tire and the other hand on the bottom and try to rock it back and forth. It's there's any play, it's probably a bearing. Inspect the tire, inspect inside the wheel well and see if you find anything.

I Support ClubWRX
    Make sure it's not simply a nail or other foreign object stuck in the tread.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

How fast is the tick? Does it seem to coincide with one full rotation of the tire, or more slowly like your turn signal?

yes i have checked to see if it is the bearing and it is not. there is nothing in the tire no nails rocks or anything. it doesnt do it at first. a mile into driving it starts and it is a little faster then a blinker sound but it only does it when i am not giving it gas. when i give it gas it goes away

Does it still make the sound if the clutch is in? You mentioned it gets "worse" downhill, do you mean louder or faster?

louder and faster seeing im going down hill. clutch doesnt make a difference. the only difference is when im accelerating or just coasting. it makes noise coasting not accelerating. when i go its quiet when i stop giving it gas it ticks until i go again or stop
    Last edited by subaru4life2009; 07-29-2014 at 04:35 PM.

I would have two suggestions of things to check.

1. Check the lug and tire "flange". When switching between accelerating and coasting, the tire is applying a force on the opposite side of the lug nut/"flange". Shifting the tire around by hand probably won't be enough to check for looseness, remember these sustain the force both from the torque of the engine and weight of the vehicle. My theory is that one of these is slightly mis-shapen and as the tire rotates and places its weight on the mis-shapen side of the lug/"flange" it slips, causing a clicking sound. Again, just a theory.

2. Camber bolt. Haven't completely thought through the forces involved but if it's slightly deformed it could cause abnormal noise (and a few other things) in your car.

so should i rotate the front with the rear?? and see if the sound disapears?
    and i didnt think of the camber bolt... i did slam a curb this winter cause of a snow drift looked like part of the road. but it didnt dent my rim or pop my tire or do any damage at the time. now 6 months later its making this noise so i didnt think it could be that but it is that tire that hit it.

I suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea to compare the amount of "play" that the front tire has compared to one of the rear tires, although if it's the actual lug that is deformed the sound will more or less stay the same. Let me know how things turn out!

well then if the sound stays then its the lug if not its the tire?

That would be my guess. Then again... I HAVE NO IDEA!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.