Crazy vacuum leak. Help appreciated - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Crazy vacuum leak. Help appreciated within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; A boost leak test should let you know if there are any leaks. Is your IAM at 16? Any feed ...

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    A boost leak test should let you know if there are any leaks.

Is your IAM at 16? Any feed back knock correction? It could be a number of things, but if there isn't anything obviously wrong mechanically, and you don't know what tune is on the car, I would suspect a bad tune.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

sorry i am still new to some of the lingo.. IAM?
    and i am looking into building a boost tester..
    and will check feedback knock correction today
    kind of hoping it just needs a tune..
    how dangerous is it to run when its that lean?

found ignition advance multiplier i will look into this today as well

It will be causing damage to the engine. How dangerous is hard to tell without looking at a data log. It could be that your engine will last six months like that, or it could last one more day.

I'd use an Open Port 2.0 (aka Tactrix) cable to pull the stock map off your car. Send it to an e-tuner along with a list of the mods on the car and pay them to investigate your tune in order to see if anything looks wayyy off. Or you could post your map here - lot's of knowledgeable folks who might be able to help you out.

Of course - if you've got a massive vacuum leak then fix that first. Get a boost leak test or do it your self by following the instructions here:
    Boost leak test instructions
    2002 OBP WRX - Stage II - "Black Betty"
    1987 Subaru GL Wagon - Stock - "Mr. Ratburn" - SOLD

thanks for your reply.i am using an access port to manage it all right now. i recorded some data logs that are being inspected as we speak. i would post them here but am working on getting a program to properly display the info as well. Also in the process of building a boost leak tester. Same group that is looking at my logs i plan to get a proper e tune from as well "IA performance".. Stephen has been helping me and working with me a lot.. if anyone else would want to take a swing at it id love to email the logs to anyone willing to help. only big problem is now the idling issue is gone(which is fine) but now today while doing the 3rd gear pulls to log it started over boosting to extremely high numbers and it scared me so the car stays parked. investigating this as well

No feedback knock correction tho! and good numbers on the IAM

should mention the boost creeped to these higher numbers
    no spiking and it was about 35-40 degrees colder here today than usual..

All you have to do for people to look at your logs is upload them to google docs, make the file public, then post a link to it.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    All you have to do for people to look at your logs is upload them to google docs, make the file public, then post a link to it.
    awesome thank you.
    well i have performed the procedures for data logging i was given by IA performance i am going to post some links if anyone wants to take a swing at them.
    thanks for your help
    Oh and i performed a succesful boost leak test at home and fixed to leaks. didn't change driving behavior very much but slightly...
    held boost like a champ.

this is a link to a log after resetting the edu. idled for 60 seconds 2k rpms for 60 seconds, 3k rpm for 60 seconds and back to idle for 60 seconds
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0p...it?usp=sharing

This is a log from driving around normally. (driving behavior due to my gf driving) me- no license
    And the last was a WOT pull 2500-5500rpm
    Any input appreciated..

to add an update to this, i am in the process of an e tune to know my engine management is proper but the vacuum is still low at idle and wanders pretty badly. I have performed multilple boost leak tests. fixing a couple small leaks but evreything is tight now. What else could cause this low vacuum -(7psi) at idle?
    when i perform my test i plug everything connected to my turbo inlet. Does that leave anything other possible places for a boost leak?

Vacuum is supposed to be sub-atmospheric at idle since air is being "sucked" into the engine via scavenging as opposed to forced in under pressure due to the turbo. That being said, -7 is not low enough... I'd expect between -8.5 to -10.5psi. So you might still have a small leak.
    2002 OBP WRX - Stage II - "Black Betty"
    1987 Subaru GL Wagon - Stock - "Mr. Ratburn" - SOLD

i suspect it may be a leak as well, unfortunately every time i test it, the systems holds pressure pretty well until i release it. ive even tried using fog in there to help inpoint something small but nothing.. is my method of testing funky? this is the procedure i follow HOW TO TEST A SUBARU by turboboostleaktesters.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.