Recall: Brake Line Corrosion ( 2008-2014 Impreza, WRX, STI, and Forester)
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Recall: Brake Line Corrosion ( 2008-2014 Impreza, WRX, STI, and Forester) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Here is a copy of the e-mail I received from Subaru today. I searched but did not see this posted ...

Recall: Brake Line Corrosion ( 2008-2014 Impreza, WRX, STI, and Forester)

Here is a copy of the e-mail I received from Subaru today. I searched but did not see this posted already.

Dear Subaru Owner:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

SUBARU OF AMERICA, INC. has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in some 2009-2013 Subaru Forester models, some 2008-2011 model year Subaru Impreza, WRX, and STI vehicles, and in some 2012-2014 model year Subaru Impreza WRX and STI vehicles currently or formerly registered in at least one of the following states and the District of Columbia:

Connecticut Maine New Hampshire Vermont
    Delaware Maryland New Jersey West Virginia
    District of Columbia Massachusetts New York Wisconsin
    Illinois Michigan Ohio
    Indiana Minnesota Pennsylvania
    Iowa Missouri Rhode Island
    DESCRIPTION OF THE SAFETY DEFECT

Subaru has determined that your vehicle may have been manufactured with brake lines that could, over time, corrode if exposed to salt, such as salt used to treat roads in the winter time.

Depending on driving conditions, salt water could splash on the brake lines through a gap in the fuel tank protector, resulting in excessive corrosion of the lines. Excessive corrosion could eventually cause perforation of a brake line(s) resulting in a brake fluid leak.
    DESCRIPTION OF THE SAFETY HAZARD
    Your vehicle has a dual circuit braking system. Each circuit works independently and diagonally across the vehicle. If one circuit of the brake system fails, the other half of the system still works. Should a brake line corrode to the point of developing a perforation, brake fluid will leak from the line(s) causing the related circuit to eventually lose effectiveness. In this situation, there would be an increase in the amount of brake pedal travel distance and foot pressure required to slow or stop the vehicle. This might cause the driver to misjudge the amount of brake pedal travel required to achieve the desired stopping distance, increasing the risk of a crash.

INSPECTION / REPAIR
    Subaru will inspect and test the current condition of your vehicle's brake lines. If they are found to be acceptable, anti-corrosion material will be applied to the areas of concern as a preventative measure. If any of the lines are found to be unacceptable, they will be replaced and anti-corrosion material will be applied to the new brake lines. These repairs will be performed at no cost to you.

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO
    Subaru is in the process of acquiring anti-corrosion materials and replacement parts necessary to perform this repair. Once there is a sufficient supply of the anti-corrosion materials and parts to perform this repair, Subaru will re-contact you by mail advising you to proceed with scheduling an appointment with your Subaru retailer (dealer).

There are several important precautions you should take until this repair has been performed:

If you experience the condition described above while braking, continue to apply steady pressure on the brake pedal until the vehicle comes to a stop. Immediately contact your Subaru retailer for assistance.
    If you notice fluid leaking from the vehicle, do not operate the vehicle. Immediately contact your Subaru retailer for assistance.
    If the brake system warning light remains illuminated on the instrument panel with the parking brake fully released, do not operate the vehicle. Immediately contact your Subaru retailer for assistance.
    Always maintain a safe distance from other vehicles while driving. The normally recommended minimum distance is one car length of space for every 10 mph of speed.
    As a precautionary measure, it is highly recommended that you use extra care while operating the vehicle in confined areas such as parking lots and while parking your vehicle in a garage, car port or other structure.
    IF YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY PAID FOR A REPAIR
    If you have already paid for repairs associated with this condition, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Reimbursement consideration will be based on the amount an authorized Subaru retailer in your area would charge for the same repair.

Please send the original service repair order, which has the name of the repair facility, date of repair, mileage at the time of repair, complete 17-digit vehicle identification number (VIN), and your name, with correct mailing address and telephone number to the address listed below.

Subaru of America, Inc.
    Customer-Retailer Services Department, Attention: WQK-47 Recall
    P.O. Box 6000, Cherry Hill, NJ 08034-6000

Please send original receipts only and retain a photocopy for your records. Please be assured that we will attempt to process your reimbursement request as quickly as possible, but it may take up to 60 days for this process to be completed.

IF YOU NEED FURTHER ASSISTANCE:
    To locate the nearest Subaru retailer you can access our website at Subaru Cars, Sedans, SUVs, Crossovers, Wagons | Subaru of America and select “Find a Dealer.”

For additional information and the most Frequently Asked Questions, please go to:

http://www.wqk47.service-campaign.com
    If you need additional assistance, please contact us directly:
    By e-mail: Go to Subaru Cars, Sedans, SUVs, Crossovers, Wagons | Subaru of America and select “Contact Us”
    By telephone: 1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783) Monday through Thursday between 7:30 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. ET
    Friday between 10:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. ET
    Saturday between 9:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. ET
    By U.S. Postal mail: Write us at Subaru of America, Inc., Attn: Customer-Retailer Services Department, P.O. Box 6000, Cherry Hill, NJ 08034-6000
    After you receive a second notice from Subaru informing you that there is a sufficient supply of the anti-corrosion materials and parts to perform this repair, please contact us immediately if the Subaru retailer fails or is unable to make the necessary repairs free of charge.

You may also contact the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave. SE, West Building, Washington, DC 20590 or call the toll free Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153) or go to Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) if you believe the Subaru retailer has failed or is unable to remedy your vehicle without charge within a reasonable amount of time.

Your continued satisfaction with your Subaru is important to us. Please understand that we have taken this action in the interest of your safety and your vehicle’s proper operation. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this matter may cause and upon second notification we urge you to schedule an appointment as soon as possible to have this repair performed.

Sincerely,
    Subaru of America, Inc.
    2014 Subaru WRX WRB Stage 1
    Stink-Eye Mob # 1.618

Previous Vehicles: 2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i; 1997 Ford Mustang Cobra; 1998 Audi A4 1.8T; 1995 Ford Mustang
    “A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.” - Jeremy Clarkson

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I have not received this yet but I'm not sure if they have my email address or not. Either way I saw this already a month ago, and this is the first time I've seen it on here.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned buy Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I also read about a lawsuit filed in an NJ federal court over oil consumption in a number of Subaru models, but not the WRX or STI.

They are attempting to force a recall and for compensation for diminished value.

Sent from my iPhone
    2014 Subaru WRX WRB Stage 1
    Stink-Eye Mob # 1.618

Previous Vehicles: 2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i; 1997 Ford Mustang Cobra; 1998 Audi A4 1.8T; 1995 Ford Mustang
    “A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.” - Jeremy Clarkson

I got an email today from Subaru of America regarding the recall

I got this email this morning as well.

We did as well.

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Me too!
    I'm more concerned with the impreza I bought for my Mom a few years ago. Good thing one of my BFFS (lol)
    Is the manager at my local Subaru's service department. I'll also see about my 2013 WRX, but right now more concerned with Mumzie's car. Has anyone gone in for recall yet? I'm curious what they actually do?
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    Me too!
    I'm more concerned with the impreza I bought for my Mom a few years ago. Good thing one of my BFFS (lol)
    Is the manager at my local Subaru's service department. I'll also see about my 2013 WRX, but right now more concerned with Mumzie's car. Has anyone gone in for recall yet? I'm curious what they actually do?
    A few people at my toyota dealership and I looked into it when we first heard. Mine hasn't been done and I'm not worried about it anyway. Basically it reminds me of the frame recall on toyotas.
    If the brake lines are leaking, they'll replace the lines and protect them with a wax to prevent moisture and corrosion. If they're not leaking they just add the wax or whatever. (So basically sealing in the moisture causing it to corrode more)
    Stinkeye member 520

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.