Subaru WRX Forum banner

Hissing sound near turbo

936 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  SD_GR 
#1 ·
I went out for a short cruise tonight I stopped to check my oil and I noticed this hissing sound coming near the turbo under the IC it seems there is a very sweet smell coming from it like there is a leak it sort of smells like coolant or trans fluid very sweet smell. Any ideas what it could be? I'm gonna take the IC off later tonight I just wanted suggestions til I get around to it? >> video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdyESIM-vM8&list=UUcmcEOJYSTjYzmjSkKrKR8A

#4 ·
You know that makes more sense because it was way loud and that much coolant would have produced a stream and plumes of smoke.

Look along the AC line for oily residue or a pinhole. Refrigerant will smell a bit aromatic, not pungent, and I could say sweet but not as sweet as coolant. AC is a better guess.

#7 ·
Ok so the residue shoes you the leak. Either find a new or used line or see if a hose shop can fix yours. I prefer that order but that's me. For my low side I found a used line to DIY. You'll need to pull a vacuum before recharging.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.