2004 wrx shaking low power and a tapping noise need opinions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2004 wrx shaking low power and a tapping noise need opinions within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok so I traded my 1990 eclipse gsx for this 2004 subie knowing it had an issues. The issue it ...

2004 wrx shaking low power and a tapping noise need opinions

Ok so I traded my 1990 eclipse gsx for this 2004 subie knowing it had an issues. The issue it has is low power especially for a cobb stage 2 tune with full 3 in exhaust. it also shakes really bad at idle like my old cammed big block car along with a tapping noise. my friend thinks that it has spun a rod bearing I think that the rings in one of the cylinders are toast. It honestly feels like it is missing on one cylinder. the only check engine light I am getting is for the front o2 sensor fault. What is the general consensus on an issue like this? the po said he thought it just popped a head gasket but that doesnt seem right at all for these issues. Also I haven't seen any smoke come out of the car no oil loss or milkshake and it doesn't overheat. If there is another thread here with answers please link me there I searched and didn't find any definitive answers

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Probably a spun rod bearing.. I would drain the oil and look for chunks first, then if it's clean, do a compression test.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Fix the cheapest thing first. The front O2 is important and could be causing a rough idle. You might not be used to how a normal Subaru sounds at idle, and especially at a rough idle.

For the front o2, you can find the exact sensor but not labeled "Subaru". It is a lot cheaper. A universal one or anything but that exact one will not work.

http://www.amazon.com/Denso-234-9011.../dp/B000C5YD1A

If it spun a rod I think it would have a life span remaining of minutes, and it sort of sounds like you are past that.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Thanks guys I will definitely be replacing the front o2 sensor first and if that doesn't fix anything then I guess I will be pulling the motor and building a ej22/ej205 hybrid till I can go big on the ej205

problem solved installed the front 02 sensor then more codes showed up leading to a bad coil pack its been replaced and had a full tune up now she runs beautifully.... now onto breaks and suspension fixes thanks for all the help

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yeehaa. Nice when you don't need a new motor.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

ya now to just start the build on it hopefully lol need to sell the last of my dsm parts and i can start on this

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.