Engine noise, please help!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Engine noise, please help! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, This noise came up a few days ago and it's annoying the s*** out of me... It only ...

Engine noise, please help!

Hey guys,
    This noise came up a few days ago and it's annoying the s*** out of me... It only sounds on idle, and whenever the car is rev'n down. Never sounds when I accelerate, and I feel like it sounds less when the AC is on max, but it still sounds and is very annoying. Please help, thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cm1...ature=youtu.be

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

wow that would drive me nutz too... my first suggestion is try and find what is making that noise, i know obvious right. What i mean is try to narrow where it's coming from, use like a rolled up poster board to listen to specific areas of the motor. Maybe even buy an automotive stethoscope to listen to specific engine components. as is that abit to vague i think unless someone else has HAPPEN to have and fixed this noise on their car, there are just to many variables...

Okay so I was reading and it might be the AC idler pulley. I made a new video of the car with the AC on max and without the AC on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0c5...ature=youtu.be

I Support ClubWRX

See:

04 WRX whine, squeal, chirp noise (Water Pump?)

While everything is apart consider replacing the belts with authentic Subaru belts (though I have replaced the pulley without removing the belt, only loosening it; your choice) and anyway hope it's the pulley as you suspect and not the A/C clutch. Most likely it'll be the pulley though, which is good news since it's trivial to replace and inexpensive.

PS I've become curious: how many Eds are you? Three?

PPS I don't like your second video. If it's the idler pulley the noise should not go away if the A/C is on or off or whatever, it should be there and be rev-dependent. Either way, I'd remove the pulley and troubleshoot the pulley first since the A/C clutch is beyond my means (I would have difficulty finding one, I'd replace the compressor intact instead, and either is more $ so I'd start with the pulley anyway).
    Last edited by SD_GR; 07-18-2014 at 01:03 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thank you so much SD_GR ! Really appreciated.

Okay so I removed the whole thing (pulley, and belt) turned the car on and the noise was still there. Went to the alternator belt (removed it) started the car without both belts, and the noise was still there. Does this mean it might be the water pump?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Edd n Eddy View Post
    Okay so I removed the whole thing (pulley, and belt) turned the car on and the noise was still there. Went to the alternator belt (removed it) started the car without both belts, and the noise was still there. Does this mean it might be the water pump?
    It means it could be something in the area but whether it's under the front cover or not remains to be seen.

I'd suspect one of the pulleys (rollers) for the timing belt, the timing belt tensioner, and the water pump but we can't exclude something else either from what we know.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I can't find a video with such noise like my car has -.-'

Some guy at O'Reilly auto parts (sorta like pep boys) said that the water pump or timing belt would never do that noise. Anyone able to think about something that can cause such noise? I'm thinking alternator but the belt was completely removed, and when I started the car it was doing the noise. So I'm thinking the noise is being caused by an air leak somewhere. It can't be the turbo either, because the car only does the noise above like 800 rpm, and whenever the rpm's are going down. So on Idle with the AC on, it doesn't sound at all (because the AC on max lowers rpm, obviously) The car does have an Evap leak, and the check engine is on, but I don't think that matters, the same dude told me that it couldn't be that. The noise is really coming from the 'alternator' or 'behind/below' the alternator.

I Support ClubWRX
    Does your model have an air pump right there for emissions?

Ok so I think I found the noise source.. used a tube to examine the engine and here is where the noise is coming from.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engine noise.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	161209

which tube are you circling? the intercooler inlet? or the tube on the grey pseudo-sensor above the PCV?
    David - '05 WRX

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'd put that on the turbo or a leak most likely.

Getting turbo whistle at idle (video) - NASIOC
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Well I'm not saying it's from that tube, I'm just saying it's coming from around that area circled. I'm guessing it's what mycologist linked me to. The turbo is screwed up somehow. I just recently replaced the inlet hose. It was melted on one side. The mechanic had told me that the turbo might've been screwed up by extra air going in (through the melted part of the hose replaced).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inlet hose.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	161289
    Last edited by Ed Edd n Eddy; 08-10-2014 at 07:41 PM.

I think I will just replace my turbo (td04), it has 185k miles on it anyways, and put in a td05. Can find them cheap for like $250 or a little less. Would that work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast