2004 WRX Boost Leak?

This is a discussion on 2004 WRX Boost Leak? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I've recently posted about this issue before, but it originally wasn't a boost leak, it was an exhaust leak ...

2004 WRX Boost Leak?

So I've recently posted about this issue before, but it originally wasn't a boost leak, it was an exhaust leak (pre turbo). So now that I have better gaskets that issue went away. Now my problem is still not being able to reach target boost.

My car has 134k miles on it. I am currently on a Stage 2 OTS map, 100% catless (3 inch turbo back w/ bellmouth DP & Up Pipe w/ flex) and running the Cobb Short Ram SF intake. My car is only reaching high 13 psi at best. A WRX comes from factory @ 13.5 psi and this stage 2 map is rated @ 16.5 psi target boost (I believe). The car idles around 700 rpms when all warmed up. So I'm curious what I can check or what is most commonly the problem.

Let me know if you need any more info! Thanks in advance!

& yes I'm aware of the Boost leak tester kits you can make / buy. I just wanna check the simple things real quick before going out and buying the stuff for the boost leak test.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I haven't any experience about how to help, but I am curious about your issue.

Do you have datalogs with:

waste gate duty cycle
    Mass air flow
    target boost
    boost error
    manifold relative pressure (boost)
    engine speed

Perhaps these could shed light on your issue?
    David - '05 WRX

Turbo/IC coupling, BPV gasket, IC/TB silicone coupler, Y-pipe gaskets, tear in the turbo inlet, stuck BPV...pull the DP or inlet to make sure your turbo has no shaft play or is getting hung up...

Also try running high wastegate map (Cobb AP?).
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Turbo/IC coupling, BPV gasket, IC/TB silicone coupler, Y-pipe gaskets, tear in the turbo inlet, stuck BPV...pull the DP or inlet to make sure your turbo has no shaft play or is getting hung up...

Also try running high wastegate map (Cobb AP?).
    Yes, Cobb AP v3. I'll check all that, thanks! One question though, where can I found the high wastegate map? I've looked on their site and had no luck finding anything the Cobb AP didn't already come with.

Quote Originally Posted by Obeisance View Post
    I haven't any experience about how to help, but I am curious about your issue.

Do you have datalogs with:

waste gate duty cycle
    Mass air flow
    target boost
    boost error
    manifold relative pressure (boost)
    engine speed

Perhaps these could shed light on your issue?
    You mean data logging with my Cobb AP?

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes

Sent from my magic banana...
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Okay here's what my Cobb AP logged from a quick WOT run in 3rd gear from 2.5k rpms to 5.8k rpms.

Hope this help, if anyone would like to point out exactly what I'm looking for or what I can do with this info, I'd greatly appreciate it! This is an awesome feature I was completely ignorant of existing on this AP lol

I Support ClubWRX
    Have you recently reset the ECU? DAM should be 16 and it is 12. That would indicate a good amount of knock. The fuel trims would be more help full in finding a boost leak. As more boost is produced the AFR's will generally trend richer.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I actually put new spark plugs in recently which obviously required me to remove the battery from the car. I didn't think this would affect anything so should I retune my car with the AP on the OTS Stage 2 map again? What exactly does the DAM mean? Dynamic Advance Multiplier? How can I fix this?

So to help a newbie out with all this, is there anything I can take from these numbers? Is there a decisive problem that can be found from these number? I'm going to check all my hoses, clamps and gaskets sometime this week for any obvious leaks by using a spray battle, some soap and water on a cold start, and look for bubbles.

Sorry for all the Q's, Thanks for the help so far!

Just drive for a bit until the DAM (or IAM) comes up to 16- it is reset when the battery is pulled and is a value learned by the car over time. If you've been driving for a long time, and the DAM does not come up, then there is a problem.

RomRaider ‚€Ę View topic - Subaru's knock control strategy explained
    David - '05 WRX

Okay, yeah I figured the stage 2 map would remain intact if the battery was reset however, it makes sense that the values reset. Thanks for clearing that up Obeisance! I'm gonna drive her normally for about 200 to 300 miles and then do another pull. In the mean time, I bought new intercooler Y-Pipe gaskets, a new BPV gasket and I'm going to make sure all the clamps are tight on the intercooler hoses. I'll report back if anything changes.

Okay, So I promised I would report back after I checked the list of things to check you guys sent me. All IC hoses are good (Mishimoto rubber silicone hoses). Turbo is good (no shaft play, spins freely). BPV gasket and Y-pipe Gaskets replaced with new Grimmspeed gaskets. I then tightened the living **** out of the hose clamps.

Here's a picture of one of the old Y-pipe gaskets compared to new. Whether this is/was the main issue to my problem, it NEEDED to be changed.

Now for the AP logging, The DAM is now at 16. I did WOT through 2nd, 3rd and some of 4th. I've noticed peak boost in 2nd gear is low 13s psi, 3rd gear is mid 13s psi and 4th gear is mid 15s psi... Why is this? Is this normal? Why is 4th gear making more boost than 1st, 2nd and 3rd? Is this just the tune?

Anyways, here's the actual logs.

Is this any better than before? (besides the DAM being at 16 instead of 12) Please let me know what to look for, any anomalies or things to check. Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by MisterNBG; 07-29-2014 at 02:35 PM.

Bumparu

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterNBG View Post

I did WOT through 2nd, 3rd and some of 4th. I've noticed peak boost in 2nd gear is low 13s psi, 3rd gear is mid 13s psi and 4th gear is mid 15s psi... Why is this? Is this normal? Why is 4th gear making more boost than 1st, 2nd and 3rd? Is this just the tune?
    Yes it's normal. It's because the boost controller is using one WGDC for every gear. The JDM cars actually and 32 bit ECU USDM cars actually have WGDC per gear compensations. In the higher gears you can produce more engine load at lower rpm's. The logs look pretty good. nothing glaringly wrong.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Yes it's normal. The logs look pretty good. nothing glaringly wrong.
    Interesting, okay glad to hear that. Thanks to everyone that helped! & to anyone with similar issues, check those y-pipe and BPV gaskets!