new wrx 2010 wagon troubles...

This is a discussion on new wrx 2010 wagon troubles... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hello, just bought this last week end, 200 000km. Drove fine from vancouver. next day motor got hot, without abusing ...

new wrx 2010 wagon troubles...

hello,

just bought this last week end, 200 000km. Drove fine from vancouver. next day motor got hot, without abusing it. needles just went high. let it coold down added water, next day drove for 300km, slowed down, same thing engine started to get hot... added water it,s ok again. cant smell prestone burning in the exhaust, can see it leaking. expansion vase gets filled up, i would be tempted to think it's only because it's overheating.

i monitored the temp with a android torque app never saw the temps going up, im tempted to think it could be the thermostat that just lets the coolant get out of the expansion vase too early since the expansion vase fills up and i dont need to add much. maybe thermostat sticks closed sometimes?

what do you guys think?

car seems to be lagging a little between 4250 to 5000rpm, im guessing that its turbo related dont exactly know where to start on that one. anyone have an idea on how to troubleshoot?

thanks for your help, im new to wrx!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Anyone?

sent from nexus

Start by burping the cooling system. You could have air in it, especially if you keep opening it up to add more fluid.

Otherwise, it could very well be the thermostat faulting.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

If the thermostat is faulty, it should be obvious because the cabin heater should not blow hot, right?
    David - '05 WRX

I think its more likely to be the rad cap, it leaks out in the expansion vase very slowly(400 km) and get hot when there isn't enough water in the cooling system

sent from nexus