new wrx 2010 wagon troubles...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on new wrx 2010 wagon troubles... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hello, just bought this last week end, 200 000km. Drove fine from vancouver. next day motor got hot, without abusing ...

new wrx 2010 wagon troubles...

hello,

just bought this last week end, 200 000km. Drove fine from vancouver. next day motor got hot, without abusing it. needles just went high. let it coold down added water, next day drove for 300km, slowed down, same thing engine started to get hot... added water it,s ok again. cant smell prestone burning in the exhaust, can see it leaking. expansion vase gets filled up, i would be tempted to think it's only because it's overheating.

i monitored the temp with a android torque app never saw the temps going up, im tempted to think it could be the thermostat that just lets the coolant get out of the expansion vase too early since the expansion vase fills up and i dont need to add much. maybe thermostat sticks closed sometimes?

what do you guys think?

car seems to be lagging a little between 4250 to 5000rpm, im guessing that its turbo related dont exactly know where to start on that one. anyone have an idea on how to troubleshoot?

thanks for your help, im new to wrx!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Anyone?

sent from nexus

Start by burping the cooling system. You could have air in it, especially if you keep opening it up to add more fluid.

Otherwise, it could very well be the thermostat faulting.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

If the thermostat is faulty, it should be obvious because the cabin heater should not blow hot, right?
    David - '05 WRX

I think its more likely to be the rad cap, it leaks out in the expansion vase very slowly(400 km) and get hot when there isn't enough water in the cooling system

sent from nexus

hellooo, cut out the thermostat reinstalled it to see if it would cool enough. drove 400 km no issue, got a oem thermostat + rad cap (i could see white deposits on it thought it could be leaking)... reinstalled cap and thermostat, went fine for 150 km, same problem, the expansion vase fills up. ill try changing the main thermostat see what happens. anyone had a similar issue?

I Support ClubWRX
    Head gasket possibly. I would get a coolant analysis.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Done the said internal collapse of rad... And thermostat and rad cap... I have. a hard time understanding internal collapse, how can the rad collapse if its pressurized... Not to mention it runs fine without the thermostat no overheating whatso ever over 400 km!

sent from nexus

I Support ClubWRX
    The radiator hose will collapse if the cap is defective. Had this happen to me. Once I popped the cap off the hose would expand back out.

Sent from my magic banana...
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

the tech said the radiator had collapse causing over heating... my question being how could a radiator collapse? it's pressurised i guess i should have asked him LOL

dooooo, you said coolant analysis, soory i misread! i thought you said pressure test... to see if there are any hydrocarbons in the coolant? where do there get done?
    Last edited by paascal; 08-02-2014 at 07:01 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Most shops will do them now. I know NTB/Merchants/Tire Kingdom can do it along with oil analysis (engine/tranny/diff). It's a better test then looking for water in the engine oil as that doesn't always happen.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.