2002 WRX Center Differential Noise
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2002 WRX Center Differential Noise within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have searched and haven't found any information about this noise. I also posted this in the "Transmission" thread but ...

2002 WRX Center Differential Noise

I have searched and haven't found any information about this noise.
    I also posted this in the "Transmission" thread but I'm not quite sure if that was the right forum.
    My Subaru started making noise the other day. It is a 2002 Subaru wrx wagon. Sound is coming from the center differential area. Car is dead quiet at start up and is quiet for the first about 10 miles of driving, then sound gradually comes in. Sound increases with speed and is NOT relevant to being in gear or the car being running or not (I can turn the car off and coast and the noise still persists). I have replaced the 3 bearings in the center differential and the sound still persists. I have attached a link to a YouTube video of the noise so if any of the Subaru gurus could listen to it and help me out that would be great. Thanks.

Link to YouTube---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH1FAovHKBY

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Anyone?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Usually the symptoms of a bad center diff are binding when turning sharply, not noise. What makes you think it's the diff that's making the noise?

Because the noise sounds like its coming from that area. I don't know Subaru's good enough to know what else would make noise in that area. It is also a distinctive noise that doesn't sound like bearings or gears to me.

Sorry bud, not sure that's a new one, for me. to me it does sound more like a bearing that a gear-on-gear. Nothing really comes to mind as easy/quick/cheap things to check. things that come to mind is the clutch throw-out bearing, the carrier bearing for the rear drive shaft. far stretch maybe one of the scyncros in the tranny even. That noise almost sounded to me like when you're trying to get a vehicle into gear and you're not grinding the gears but you can hear the syncros spinning.

No real good advise but things to maybe do more internet searching with.

Any resolution yet. I have the same car similar issue.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.