2012 WRX AC needs a recharge already??

This is a discussion on 2012 WRX AC needs a recharge already?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Driving around the other day in my 2012 WRX sedan on a hot 90 deg day and the AC seems ...

Unhappy 2012 WRX AC needs a recharge already??

Driving around the other day in my 2012 WRX sedan on a hot 90 deg day and the AC seems like it wasn't getting very cold.
    Is the AC system that bad or could it already need a recharge? I have a 2008 Infiniti G35 that has ice cold AC and I haven'y had to recharge it yet...

By the way the WRX has 40,000 miles and is a New England car so it only uses AC a few months each year.

If it needs a recharge then I might go out and purchase one of those do it yourself recharge kits. Anyone here has any experience with these kits? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    No A/C should need a recharge. Something is wrong. If there is a fault, fix it; if there is a leak, find it.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

In my 14 I have the same issue. I can have the air blasting in neutral and if I'm not moving it will not blow cold cold air. It's the same thing on all of my previous stick shift cars so I'm kinda use to it and it makes sense compared to an automatic.

I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry I don't follow.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by dcp-m3 View Post
    Driving around the other day in my 2012 WRX sedan on a hot 90 deg day and the AC seems like it wasn't getting very cold.
    Is the AC system that bad or could it already need a recharge?
    When it's that hot (and up to 20 hotter where I live), I can drive for 30 minutes or more with the AC blasting on full before I'm comfortable enough to turn the fan down a little. It was like that from new. It's acceptable, but I don't think the AC unit is as good as the Ford Focus I had prior to this. But I've always heard that Ford puts really good AC systems in their cars. I can't say if yours is working properly but, as suggested, AC gas doesn't really wear out; it just leaves if there's a leak in the system. Try buying a little thermometer, like the kind you'd stick in a roast turkey, and put it in one of the cabin vents. Drive it for a while and see what the temperature gets down to. Then call your Subaru dealer and ask them if that's a normal temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Sorry I don't follow.
    +1.

I notice when I'm stopped at lights, the A/C gets much warmer as well. I just assumed this was because without additional airflow from moving, the refrigerant can not adequately release it's heat of of some sort of radiator style setup. Whether or not this is in fact the case, I have no idea. Seemed reasonable though.

Be sure to use the recirculate feature. If not you're cooling very hot outside air and it will not feel that cold when in traffic or moving slowly.