A/C troubles
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on A/C troubles within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys i got a problem. Soooo... I took my 2008 Impreza to garage they changed my oil but said ...

A/C troubles

Hey guys i got a problem. Soooo... I took my 2008 Impreza to garage they changed my oil but said my A/C was busted. I didn't trust them but soon after I left I noticed my A/C would run cold then turn hot in less than 5 mins. So i went to another garage to get the A/C recharged (over a year later). They told me when they pumped my system I only had 13 grams of freon when i should have had 1lb in the system (my best guess is the first place pulled it out of my system as that during their "free inspection" i saw them messing with my low pressure line). After they filled the system they found no leaks so I know my freon is staying in my car.

All that aside now my A/C blows cold then slowly gets hot. From what I have seen online it is suggested to replace the A/C Clutch but I wanted to know what do you guys think? My worst fear is that my A/C Compressor burned out because of the lack of freon but I don't know enough about the A/C system to say for sure that is what went wrong.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I have difficulty believing a professional shop used the word "busted." It's also odd that someone mixed units (grams and pounds). Do you have their actual estimate listing what parts were faulty and what they would need to replace?

The compressor would not engage if the pressure were outside the normal range.

I recommend finding out high side and low side pressures first, then deciding how to proceed. There isn't enough information to figure out what's going on.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I have difficulty believing a professional shop used the word "busted." It's also odd that someone mixed units (grams and pounds). Do you have their actual estimate listing what parts were faulty and what they would need to replace?

The compressor would not engage if the pressure were outside the normal range.

I recommend finding out high side and low side pressures first, then deciding how to proceed. There isn't enough information to figure out what's going on.
    The first shop was a firestone garage and they did use the word busted which is why I did not trust them because when i asked for proof they said "its not blowing cold" but to me they were testing this in febuary so i was a bit suspect of what they were doing.

The second place was Tires Plus and they guy changed the digital scale from pounds to grams because the amount in the car was so low it he thought the scale was broken so he changed the scale from pounds to grams 13grams = 0.02.

Now I just put my freon gage on my low pressure side with the temp at 101 it shows the needle right in the middle where it suppose to be but as per the gage the freon is in the red part of the gage. I can take pictures if that helps

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalbots View Post
    The first shop was a firestone garage and they did use the word busted
    That is mesmerising.

The second place was Tires Plus and they guy changed the digital scale from pounds to grams because the amount in the car was so low it he thought the scale was broken so he changed the scale from pounds to grams 13grams = 0.02.
    If the refrigerant level is too low the compressor should not engage at all.

Now I just put my freon gage on my low pressure side with the temp at 101 it shows the needle right in the middle where it suppose to be but as per the gage the freon is in the red part of the gage. I can take pictures if that helps
    The following applies to my 2002 US model with the 2,0L engine:

A:C troubleshooting 2002.pdf
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    That is mesmerising.

If the refrigerant level is too low the compressor should not engage at all.

The following applies to my 2002 US model with the 2,0L engine:

A:C troubleshooting 2002.pdf
    I think your guide would match my 2008 2.5l engine but this is what I found after driving the car for an hour.

I will try again tomorrow when the car is cold to see if there is a difference in pressure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20140709_213239.jpg   20140709_213334.jpg   20140709_213234.jpg  

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.