Break-in

This is a discussion on Break-in within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm just curious. Why is the break-in period different from country to country? I mean, I live in Brazil, the ...

Break-in

I'm just curious.

Why is the break-in period different from country to country? I mean, I live in Brazil, the break-in period here is 2500 km (that's on the manual), and that is about 1600 miles. As you guys know, for american cars the manual says 1000 miles for break-in.

Why would the exact same car, with the exact same engine, have two different break-in periods?

Thanks already

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Two different companies support the car.

I'm curious: does your car have a heater?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Yes, it does have a heater. Does that make a difference to the break in period?

Even if a hundred companies support the car, the break in period should be the same all around the world, shouldn't it? I mean, if it is so crucial to the car, USA owners might be harming their engine without even knowing it. I really don't get that difference. If it was just a few miles, but 600?

I'm sorry if it is a stupid question, I'm noob. But, it really got me wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Salivan View Post

Even if a hundred companies support the car, the break in period should be the same all around the world, shouldn't it? I mean, if it is so crucial to the car, USA owners might be harming their engine without even knowing it. I really don't get that difference. If it was just a few miles, but 600?

I'm sorry if it is a stupid question, I'm noob. But, it really got me wondering.
    Not a stupid question at all. But for the record, an engine absolutely does not need 1600 miles to break in.
    Drive like hell, you will get there faster!

Warranty friendly mods for now-
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ml#post3579257

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Salivan View Post
    No. However I remember some older BR models did not, so I was curious.

Even if a hundred companies support the car, the break in period should be the same all around the world, shouldn't it?
    I don't know. I don't think any one does. Would the break in period for a model sold in Brazil be the same as for a model sold in Iceland? Would the break in period for a model driven on open motorways in the rural US be the same as for a model driven exclusively in stop-and-go traffic in Mexico City, Tokyo, or Constantinople?

I mean, if it is so crucial to the car, USA owners might be harming their engine without even knowing it. I really don't get that difference. If it was just a few miles, but 600?

Keep in mind again that around the world, a variety of companies sell and (more crucially) support the vehicle. I suspect each one set up an owner's manual that reflects how they thought their costs would be lowest during the warranty period.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose42 View Post
    Not a stupid question at all. But for the record, an engine absolutely does not need 1600 miles to break in.
    There have been posted previously quantified data indicating wear metals consistent with typical wear on an new engine, in Subaru motors at... 10,000 miles or 16.000 km. This gets to the problem of what "break in" actually means.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    No. However I remember some older BR models did not, so I was curious.
    Got it.

Keep in mind again that around the world, a variety of companies sell and (more crucially) support the vehicle. I suspect each one set up an owner's manual that reflects how they thought their costs would be lowest during the warranty period.
    Now, that makes sense.
    Thanks

I Support ClubWRX
    Your prediction regarding the World Cup final?

Brasil and Costa Rica
    Yours?

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm not certain. The traditional powerhouse teams have not realised or at least not shown their full potential. Argentina seemed strong, but they just now scored a single goal against Switzerland. Uruguay seemed strong but that didn't end well at all.

Brasil have tremendous potential but they need better team play. In their previous match I thought Hulk's goal should have counted (I did not see a hand ball). However, Fred and Jo lost serious opportunities and in the end it basically came down to luck as to who would advance. They are capable of much more I think.

As to Costa Rica... I think Pyrros Dimas said it best two days ago after the match when he tweeted that in athletics, the best is not guaranteed a win. I feel Greece were superior tactically, making the absolute most of what they had, but toward the end their efforts fell flat and they are sorely lacking an effective offensive trio. This showed dramatically, especially in their set pieces. So it came to penalties, and those are a lottery.

I think Holland are looking very potent, though I didn't like that Roben dived and was granted a penalty after having been taken down previously yet denied a penalty.

Germany, ftw, imho
    Drive like hell, you will get there faster!

Warranty friendly mods for now-
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ml#post3579257

I Support ClubWRX
    Toni Kroos described their last game as a "struggle" (literally) in a recent tweet. I don't know. They're strong and they have a deep bench to call upon if necessary but there are times when they have seemed marginal, and like Argentina today they too relied on a late, single goal to win against an opponent inferior to them on paper.

I'm not certain. The traditional powerhouse teams have not realised or at least not shown their full potential. Argentina seemed strong, but they just now scored a single goal against Switzerland. Uruguay seemed strong but that didn't end well at all.

Brasil have tremendous potential but they need better team play. In their previous match I thought Hulk's goal should have counted (I did not see a hand ball). However, Fred and Jo lost serious opportunities and in the end it basically came down to luck as to who would advance. They are capable of much more I think.

As to Costa Rica... I think Pyrros Dimas said it best two days ago after the match when he tweeted that in athletics, the best is not guaranteed a win. I feel Greece were superior tactically, making the absolute most of what they had, but toward the end their efforts fell flat and they are sorely lacking an effective offensive trio. This showed dramatically, especially in their set pieces. So it came to penalties, and those are a lottery.

I think Holland are looking very potent, though I didn't like that Roben dived and was granted a penalty after having been taken down previously yet denied a penalty.
    Totally agree with you about Brazil. Hulk, Fred, Jo and Daniel Alves all suck IMO. I really don't know what they are doing there. They are depending too much on Neymar, and that's not a good thing.
    Costa Rica might not be the best team on the cup, however they are giving their life for it, and that counts too much IMO. I think they have the potential to go further.

Holland is a great choice too, but for me that match against Mexico made me double think about them.

I think germany is a great competitor to the finals.

I Support ClubWRX
    Fred has the best moustache in the tournament though.

In fact, with Andrea Pirlo and Giorgos Samaras now both watching from home, Fred is the de facto facial hair ambassador.

Fred has the best moustache in the tournament though.

In fact, with Andrea Pirlo and Giorgos Samaras now both watching from home, Fred is the de facto facial hair ambassador.
    HAHAHAHAH LOL
    Agreed.