ktwn's 02 wrx has me stumped, startup and drivability problem
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on ktwn's 02 wrx has me stumped, startup and drivability problem within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; alrighty yesterday was a long day of wrenching. we fixed every vacuum leak and replaced all the laughably broken turbo ...

Unhappy ktwn's 02 wrx has me stumped, startup and drivability problem

alrighty yesterday was a long day of wrenching. we fixed every vacuum leak and replaced all the laughably broken turbo inlet, timc hoses, and bpv hose. started it up and it was running rough and really rich. re-battery reset the ecu and Holy Crap the car is running like a race car for real. it pulls way harder than my mostly stock 02.

after replacing the temp sending unit, the dash reads max hot although the computer sees 195 and confirmed this with a ir temp gun. thats a new one.

after letting it cool down it started rough again, but cleared up within a minute of idling

third attempt, #&%@. it would start for a second cough and die. after a few tries cranking it wouldnt even start. even threw a p0244 code, and a few misfire codes as well. battery cleared the ecu again, car runs great again! wth....but this is the problem i came down to fix hopefully. unfortunately it seems like we just made it run awesome when it wants to, not every time.

so the car had mods prior to kev owning it that we dont know about, and obviously was/is running a tune. but before this it was running outstanding as just a well cared for daily driver. we have checked plugs, fuel pressure post filter(45 strong) all the air and vac lines are perfect and the pill is in place. im not sure how to check timing with his lightweight pulley(i havent seen a mark on it anyhoo)

ideas?
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

UPDATE. a friend came over and asked....have you even looked at the ecm for physical damage? well...no so why not. #@$!

and

and its outta here. several leads were blue they got so hot. more to come. lol, 30 seconds it took to remove it
    Last edited by tirerob; 06-29-2014 at 12:00 PM.
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Rob

ok. ecu wires fixed(kinda i ran outta time for a extended repair)but solid. i noticed a exaust leak last night and today i saw the egt probe was loose while checking for said leak. so loose i removed it with my fingers... so we did the egt delete and resistor. plus a couple of test drives, start and restarts. so far, nothing but a little bit of boost swing and the dash is still reading the wrong temp(even though the engine is operating and the ecu is reading correctly) we have a driving car. Now it drives alot more like mine. just have to finda replacement for or correct for the CAI and relearning the long term trims/boost trims. woohoo mission acomplished!
    Rob

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.