Weird coolant problem please helpp !!!

This is a discussion on Weird coolant problem please helpp !!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 05 STI and ive had a coolant issue since i got the car a month ago it ...

Weird coolant problem please helpp !!!

I have a 05 STI and ive had a coolant issue since i got the car a month ago it seems to be getting worse. Atleaset once a week on my way home from work i go up with really big hill and puts strain on engine and as i pull in my driveway it starts overheating slowly with the temp gauge rising. Then the overflow tank overfills and spills a bunch of coolant and hear bubbling in coolant tank near turbo. I have no idea whys its dong this,ive burped the system a bunch of times and it only seems to happen on that one hill. Sometimes i notice the temp gauge goes down very little when going downhill also but nothing that notiacle, Theres also some dirt debris floating around in overlfow tank when it overflows, not oil just some dirt. Anyone have any ideas ?! radiator cap ? or worst a HG

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xRYANx23 View Post
    Then the overflow tank overfills and spills a bunch of coolant and hear bubbling in coolant tank near turbo.
    I don't like that.

OK, so troubleshoot starting with the least expensive options and moving upwards in cost and complexity.

Do you have circulation (in other words, does the thermostat open)?

Is there an obstruction?

Do the fans engage?

If you have good circulation, that excludes the water pump, thermostat, and obstructions. If you in addition cannot find any leaks, suspect a gasket.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I don't like that.

OK, so troubleshoot starting with the least expensive options and moving upwards in cost and complexity.

Do you have circulation (in other words, does the thermostat open)?

Is there an obstruction?

Do the fans engage?

If you have good circulation, that excludes the water pump, thermostat, and obstructions. If you in addition cannot find any leaks, suspect a gasket.
    How am i suppose to know if the thermastat is open ? and the fans usually dont engage till it gets pretty hot. also i noticed the upper hose doesnt hold that much pressure you can easily press it

oh and one more thing, the person who owned the car before me was in a little fender bender nothing much and had the radiator replaced. maybe there's a leak somewere causing air to keep coming in ?

I Support ClubWRX
    How am i suppose to know if the thermastat is open ?
    You can chose to attempt some of what I'll describe at your one risk only. Be aware the fans can come on at any time. The fans, coolant, and moving engine parts can cause serious injury.

Never allow the car to overheat.

With the car stone cold, remove the cap from the reservoir by the turbo. Start the car and let it warm up. If the thermostat opens, you will be able to see the coolant circulate, visibly. (If the thermostat opens and you have circulation, yet you still end up seeing bubbles in the overflow, suspect head gasket; if you don't see bubbles at this point, you can't exclude the head gasket yet). Turn off the car and replace the cap.

and the fans usually dont engage till it gets pretty hot.
    But they do engage, so they're not likely the issue.

also i noticed the upper hose doesnt hold that much pressure you can easily press it
    A hose that's too soft or too hard could be aged, and if so it should be replaced, but it won't be causing your immediate problem.

oh and one more thing, the person who owned the car before me was in a little fender bender nothing much and had the radiator replaced. maybe there's a leak somewere causing air to keep coming in ?
    Check for leaks and have the cooling system pressure tested if necessary. However the one source of gas at a higher pressure than the atmosphere or the cooling system itself (that operates at a total pressure twice that of the atmosphere, roughly), is the engine. That's why I don't like the bubbling you're seeing.

A leak elsewhere like you suspect could cause the bubbling also, and it's much simpler than a HG, so hunt down any/all leaks first.

Consider a pressure test and if that's inconclusive, consider testing for exhaust gasses in the coolant. Also, a quick and dirty way of eyeballing and guesstimating whether there is any moisture in the oil is to drop a touch of oil on a very hot surface, say a manifold. Clean oil should eventually smoke, you should see no boiling. Boiling would be moisture. A less quick and more dirty way to check for a blown HG with coolant entering the combustion chambers is to check for moisture on each spark plug in the morning after having previously driven the car then parked it and let it sit overnight.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 06-27-2014 at 03:02 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.