CEL P0546 - Resistor Mod?

This is a discussion on CEL P0546 - Resistor Mod? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi, I just bought my 02 wrx today, and the CEL came on with the code P0546, high EGT. Everything's ...

CEL P0546 - Resistor Mod?

Hi, I just bought my 02 wrx today, and the CEL came on with the code P0546, high EGT. Everything's stock except for the exhaust(skunk2) and the intercooler (greddy). The previous owner also said it needs a top 02 sensor, would this have an effect on the EGT? I bought the resistors for the mod, but how would I go about doing this? I am new to Subarus and any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I also have a stock catted uppipe.

Performing the resistor mod is easy: find the plug for the temp sensor (passenger side strut tower) and stick the leads of the resistor into the plug.

The real issue here is what is causing the overheating. If your cat. is plugged or degrading, it may come apart and incapacitate your turbo, effectively killing your car.
    David - '05 WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 02_Subie View Post
    The previous owner also said it needs a top 02 sensor, would this have an effect on the EGT?
    Do you mean "front" O2 sensor? Why does it need one? Is there a DTC for the front sensor?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

The previous owner had the cel come on for the front o2 sensor, but had the cel cleared. He said its needed one for about a month. Would this have an effect on the EGT? I did the resistor mod and the light for the EGT went off. My question is if the cat in the uppipe is plugged or overheating, could i gut the uppipe or would it be better to get a catless uppipe?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 02_Subie View Post
    could i gut the uppipe or would it be better to get a catless uppipe?

Either or.. just be sure to do it soon, I wouldn't be driving the car at all with it like that. And replace the gaskets when you do it.

Yep, still driving my old one. I'm going with an Invidia up pipe, and they have an EGT bung. how critical would a tune be after this? my closest tuner is 5 hours away...