Possible ignition switch issue?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Possible ignition switch issue? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Bought a theft recover 2005 Impreza RS. Lots of minor stuff, including a demolished ignition switch. I could and did ...

I Support ClubWRX

Possible ignition switch issue?

Bought a theft recover 2005 Impreza RS. Lots of minor stuff, including a demolished ignition switch. I could and did start it with a screwdriver to move it around the garage and such.

I bought a used ignition switch off ebay, and the seller ensured me it was from a manual.

The switch starts the car, but I have some very strange stuff happening.

As soon as you connect the battery, the parking lights on all four corners come on.

When you turn the key into start position, just before you turn to start it, the fan goes on an off repeatedly and you hear various relays clicking on and off.

So, my question is...

Could it be a bad switch in general?

Could it be from an auto and is not compatible with the manual car?

This will be my step son's first car so I am trying to get the body work done and on the road as soon as possible so he can drive the job I made him get

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I just checked the ebay ad, it says it was removed from a 2006 MT impreza sedan

I Support ClubWRX
    General: does the 2005 recipient car have an immobilizer? Does the donor 2006?

Lights: does the recipient car have a large switch mounted centrally on top of the steering column? Is that switch on or off?

Fans and relays: does the recipient car have two green connectors underneath the steering column and dash that are connected? These should not be connected.

General: are there any check engine light codes stored?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    General: does the 2005 recipient car have an immobilizer? Does the donor 2006?

Lights: does the recipient car have a large switch mounted centrally on top of the steering column? Is that switch on or off?

Fans and relays: does the recipient car have two green connectors underneath the steering column and dash that are connected? These should not be connected.

General: are there any check engine light codes stored?
    I will crack open the cover and have a good look.

There is no switch on the recipient car

I will check for the connectors...can you shed light on what these are for?

The check engine light is blinking like mad when I start it, I will grab a reader from the parts store tonight

I Support ClubWRX
    The ad doesnt specify immobilzer on donor car which is an Impreza, but it says it will fit a forrester with or without an immobiler, here is what it said;

REMOVED FROM:
    2006 SUBARU IMPREZA RS SEDAN, 99K MILES RECORDED
    STK# AA30

SHOULD FIT:
    IMPREZA 2005-2007; MANUAL TRANS; EXC STI
    FORESTER 2005-2008; W/O IMMOBILIZER, M/T LL BEAN EDITION
    FORESTER 2005-2008; MANUAL TRANSMISSION

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Muswagon View Post
    I will crack open the cover and have a good look.

There is no switch on the recipient car
    This seems odd. I was under the impression that all Subarus since the dawn of time had a parking light switch. I know the 2005 WRX has the switch, so I'm sure your RS does as well.
    Look for this switch:

I will check for the connectors...can you shed light on what these are for?

The check engine light is blinking like mad when I start it, I will grab a reader from the parts store tonight
    When connected, this puts the ECU in a diagnostic mode. You'll hear the fans and fuel pump cycle on an off, the CEL blinks, and the car runs in limp mode. What you're describing sounds exactly like the test mode is enabled. These connectors are normally disengaged and dangling next to each other, so a mechanic unfamiliar with Subarus might think they were supposed to always be connected.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    Hi Rambo! Thanks yes.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    I am clearly a dummy lol, I have that switch on top, sorry

That is exactly what is going on, where can I find these green plug(s)

I appreciate the info!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Look under the dash on the driver's side. The issue is, if you didn't connect them, who did? I sincerely hope they are connected, it's the simplest solution.

I Support ClubWRX

I Support ClubWRX
    A buddy of mine installed the ignition switch and I would assume he hooked anything that looked unhooked. I will have a peek tonight. If anyone could snap a pic I would be forever in your debt

I Support ClubWRX
    A buddy of mine installed the ignition switch and I would assume he hooked anything that looked unhooked. I will have a peek tonight. If anyone could snap a pic I would be forever in your debt
    What you want to see is two dangling connectors, green, rather than one nice securely connected set of two connectors.

Picture:
    Unplugged connector under dash?!

Diagramme:
    Green Connectors under dash??

I Support ClubWRX
    Ok, we are 95% fixed. CEL isn't flashing, fans are off, no relays...ummm...relaying

One last issue. When I connect the battery, the front and rear parking lights come on and stay on. Regardless of key on or off, position of light switch, etc. Any thoughts?

Thanks again, I would have never thought a car would have a silly wire like that, that could wreak that much havoc

I Support ClubWRX
    LOL forget it... you already gave me the answer earlier with that parking light switch on the steering column...she's all fixed and I am embarassed

Thanks again, I gladly supported this forum and I hope others do as well. Most forums make people like feel silly, this one has great info and great people. Thanks!

I Support ClubWRX
    OK great news, enjoy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast