02 WRX Wagon possible blown turbo

This is a discussion on 02 WRX Wagon possible blown turbo within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My brother was using my 02 WRX Wagon and says he completely lost power from the car. Shut it off ...

02 WRX Wagon possible blown turbo

My brother was using my 02 WRX Wagon and says he completely lost power from the car. Shut it off and it started back up but was making a clanking noise. He was able to get the car home and when he parked the car there was some smoke coming from under the hood. We couldn't get a good look right then and there as it was night time. The next day I started the car and it didn't sound right making a clanking noise. A few days later I restarted the car and the sound went away. So I decided to test drive it up and down my road which is roughly 8 miles long. As I got to the end of the road preparing to turn around the noise came back and car seized. I popped the hood and noticed oil residue all around the turbo and the lines all around it. The turbo and heat shield were boiling hot. After about 15 minutes sitting there the car turned back on but I was only able to get a little more than half way back to my house when the car shut off on me again and would not restart again. Having to get it towed home. I'm hoping to God he just blew the turbo and that it's nothing worse. Any ideas and tips?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I should mention that this is a stock turbo. Everything in the car is still stock

I Support ClubWRX
    A blown turbo will not cause the car to stall. Sounds like either a bad catalytic convertor or something much worse. Does the car have a the CEL on? I would probably do a compression test.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

The CEL was on for a bad 02 sensor

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TMChris570 View Post
    The CEL was on for a bad 02 sensor
    Or for a good O2 sensor correctly reading alarming data?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

When I brought the car to a friend earlier when the CEL first came on he hooked the car up and said the 02 sensor was shot

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Or for a good O2 sensor correctly reading alarming data?
    Bingo.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/