Clicking/Ticking noise from engine area
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Clicking/Ticking noise from engine area within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 14 wrx with just over 2800 miles on her. The car has been tuned to Cobb stage ...

Clicking/Ticking noise from engine area

I have a 14 wrx with just over 2800 miles on her. The car has been tuned to Cobb stage one with the Cobb intake since 2000 miles. I've monitored the car since and have done a datalog with no issues. Aside from the v3 and intake, the car is stock.

Last night I went for food and all was well. I went through the drive thru, pulled out of the lot, and I immediately noticed a clicking noise as I accelerated. I pulled into a parking lot and shut the car off and started her up again. The noise was still there.

The best way to describe the noise is as a ticking/clicking sound. It sounds almost as if you stuck something into a running fan and you get the clicking sound of the blade hitting it. The clicking doesn't start until I hit 1800-1900 rpms. If I continue to rev it to around 2500 the clicking stops. I continue past that and closer to 3000 rpms and it's clicking again. It clicks whether it's in neutral or in gear. It does not make the noise while idling. I've done some research and some people have a loose this or that, some say rod bearing, others have a different issue.

I have tried flashing back to stock and that didn't help any.

Anyone have any insight on this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Did you have a recent fill up at the pump....could be low octane ...just a wild guess.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

I put around a half a tank in a week ago. I used 93 and that's what I've been using since I got it. I'm also using the stage one+sf 93 map. I checked during the drive home with the AP and didn't have any kind of knock at all. Not sure if bad gas would do that or not.

Update:

I was driving the car towards the dealership on Saturday and the clicking was the same as before. No loss of power or other issues, just clicking that would randomly come and go. After 30 miles or so, the clicking became constant and shortly after the car started to die on me. The rpms shot up and down and I immediately pulled off of the road just prior to losing all steering and the car shutting down. Cel came on and she wouldn't start up again (I believe limp mode?) Roadside assistance came to the rescue and she was towed the rest of the way to the dealership.

I got a call today from a friend of mine that works there and he said the tech told him that I have no compression in 3 valves. They are going to break the engine down tomorrow to diagnose further. I'll update again when I get more news.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.