Normal oil pressure after pulls?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Normal oil pressure after pulls? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just wanted to know, I have an 04 2.0L. I put redline 5w-30 about 400mi ago and when at normal ...

Normal oil pressure after pulls?

Just wanted to know, I have an 04 2.0L. I put redline 5w-30 about 400mi ago and when at normal idle I would run about 26-29 psi and after a couple pulls with my friends f250 I was sitting at 18-23 psi. Just wanting to know if it's normal to drop that low or if it isn't.
    Last edited by Sal.LV93; 06-17-2014 at 02:08 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Also 98k and pretty much stock, just an aftermarket topmount.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I'd expect that to be OK. As the oil heats, the pressure will drop slightly. Idle pressure should be between 15 and 30 PSI. 30 PSI at cold start, and around 20 PSI fully warm. Remember that oil takes a lot longer than coolant to reach operating temps.

EDIT: Some good info, >14 PSI at idle (fully warm) with the pressure relief at 85 PSI. Granted, this is an EJ257.

2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I'd expect that to be OK. As the oil heats, the pressure will drop slightly. Idle pressure should be between 15 and 30 PSI. 30 PSI at cold start, and around 20 PSI fully warm. Remember that oil takes a lot longer than coolant to reach operating temps.

EDIT: Some good info, >14 PSI at idle (fully warm) with the pressure relief at 85 PSI. Granted, this is an EJ257.

yeah I see what you're saying. Also the oil temp hasn't gotten past 219 and the coolants highest temp was at 220. I just wasn't sure if it was a normal thing for the oil to become so thin that the pressure would drop that much lol thanks man! 👍

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Idle pressure should be between 15 and 30 PSI. 30 PSI at cold start, and around 20 PSI fully warm.
    Cold start can easily be as high as 90 psi+.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Cold start in my car has always been over 100psi. When the oil is hot, 15-20psi is pretty normal. That was with 5w-40 T6, and an 11mm oil pump.

Yeah cold is at 90-100 then after the oil temp gets to 200 (where it usually settles) then the pressure goes from 20-26psi and after running hard it goes to 16-20. Just wasn't sure but thanks for the replies guys! Helped out a bunch!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.