Brand new 2015 WRX Engine Light and Blinking Cruise Control !?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Brand new 2015 WRX Engine Light and Blinking Cruise Control !? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Greetings all, I have owned a 2002 Impreza WRX for 8 years and rode her to the ground. I recently ...

Exclamation Brand new 2015 WRX Engine Light and Blinking Cruise Control !?

Greetings all,

I have owned a 2002 Impreza WRX for 8 years and rode her to the ground.

I recently picked up a brand new 2015 WRX, I drove it out of dealership with 7 miles!

I know you are suppose to take it easy for first 1,000-5,000 miles .. synthetic oil, hi octane gas, oil change after first 1,000-3,000 miles.. etc.

Riding around, awesome ride. Now it has 200 miles, I've owned it for maybe 5 days. Haven't abused it at all. I was riding to work then suddenly I couldn't accelerate, but it kept the revs around 2,500 even when I took my foot off gas. Luckily I was going around 30 mph, so I pull over to a gas station, put it in neutral (still revving) and turn it off.

I let it rest for a few minutes, turn it back on without issue, however... the Cruise Control light was blinking (I made sure cruise control is off/canceled multiple times) - and Check Engine light is on!!! Barely 200 miles and I been taking it easy. The Engine temperature is normal (just less then half) , oil is full, coolant full, etc.

I made it to work but now pretty annoyed that I have to take my brand new subaru wrx to the Subaru shop (according to the owners manual - keep speeds low and go to shop asap)

Anyone else had similar issues? I will advise what the issue is once I get my car back...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm interested to hear what happened...never heard of an issue like this

The dealership told me they have seen this issue before on other models. I'm dropping it off in a couple hours and will follow up. He said it could be electrical, it was raining this morning.. We'll see.. Love the car tho, just abeit disappointed now.

If I not mistaken, every time you get a CEL the Cruise Control will blink (so you can't use it). Like the Scooby1318 said, I am very interested to know what caused the CEL to begin with

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The blinking cruise means it is in safe mode or get home mode. Dealer should come pick it up unless you can read the CEL, I wouldn't drive a brand new car like that.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Yikes that is scarey. Well the dealership is about 7 miles away and nothing above 40mph roads. I have to get over there. I had to drive another couple miles to get to work and engine/drove fine. I'm not going above 40 mph or 2,500 rpms.

What is CEL? NEVERMIND - Check Engine Light.

This is strange...I will try to summarize..

On way to Dealership, no issues. Kept the engine low revs and low speed just to be safe, but it sounded fine and drove fine.

I get there, they ask me if I had filled up with gas recently. I said yes, but the lights didn't come on until 5-10 miles after, the next morning. He checked the gas cap and said it was tight but one notch from being tightest. So he turned it to max tightness and told me to start car, and drive up to the service center.

Low and behold, no longer CEL and no blinking cruise control light. I get up to the service station to let them know , they asked if I would like the diagnostics done anyways since it's under warranty. Sure.

Half hour pasts, and he then tells me it's not the gas cap - they are trying to get a hold of Subaru Headquarters.

I had to get back to work so they finally got back to me and said that the Engine light trips when the clutch releases and air conditioner is on.

They seemed as baffled as me, two completely unrelated things affecting each other?? They let me drive off , and would call when they get more info. CEL/Blinking cruise control lights are off.I haven't really double checked their diagnostics - I may try later after work when I'm safely near home. The car rides fine and all fluids are fine.

Hmmmm... what to do
    Last edited by wrx2015; 06-12-2014 at 10:52 AM.

I have heard of the gas cap causing CEL and cruise control to come on, but the issue with the clutch and air is new to me. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Scoob1318 View Post
    I have heard of the gas cap causing CEL and cruise control to come on, but the issue with the clutch and air is new to me. Good luck!
    Yeah - Thanks Scoob, it is odd because initially when they turned the gas cap one notch tighter , and I started it up, the lights were off. Seemingly resolving the issue.

But then they came back to me after running their computer diagnostics and said it wasn't the issue... they were trying to contact subaru hq. I had to have them say it twice about the air conditioner and clutch cause it seemed so bewildering. But honestly the guy sounded just as confused as I. And to think about it, I don't believe I had my AC on this morning when it occurred.

I'm a little weary to test that theory until I can get more info or closer to home. I'll try to follow up as much as I can. Surely I'm not alone!
    Last edited by wrx2015; 06-12-2014 at 11:19 AM.

Is a good thing they are working on it, I would still try not to drive it too much until the get back to you with more info ( I know, my middle name is captain obvious). Is a new car almost al together so little issues like this are bound to happend. Don't lose the love for the car just yet, it surely is something simple. Keep us posted.

Another thing I forgot to mention on here, that after having AC on, it'd drip from underneath. I have talked to dealerships about it and they said that's normal. And friends have said that it happens to their vehicles. Though my friend said that my drip seems to be a little more then normal / what he's seen.

The more I think about it, I wonder if the water drip from AC is hitting wiring/cpu areas that causes it to malfunction? That's a stretch but who knows.

Overall, been very impressed with the car, and this issue stinks cause I want to drive it a lot!! But now it's always in the back of my mind.. I do think it's electrical and not mechanical.

Keep us posted on CEL and LHM issue. As for copious amounts of condensation dripping from AC, well I hope it is a non-issue. I have seen units running in high humidity environments (jungle stuff) produce what looked like a garden hose running somewhere! Interesting to hear how they will rectify the AC and CPU arguing about what to do when you put her in neutral (clutch depressed).

Don't get me wrong, I been very impressed and it 'feels' like a very sturdy, well built machine.

I been driving for 30 minutes in city and little bit of highway, no warning lights.. I have had AC on, off, pretty much every possible combination and nothing. Sounds and rides amazing.

Maybe it was just a freak combination with the electronics that got the car to go into warning mode. Though at the time I was going through town in 3rd gear, at 2,000 rpms.. I may or may have not been doing something with the electronics. About a day after I filled her up and went for a quick ride then it was next morning about 5 minutes into ride.

I been treating it well knowing how new it is. Doing everything by the book.

Anyone know how the computer diagnostics work. Does it give a code back based on it's current state, or only during the time that it had warnings.

Time will tell, thanks all. I'll keep updated, excellent ride though- don't let it turn anyone off the 2015 wrx, it's an incredible ride.

I just had the same problem picking my son up from karate. about 190 miles on it, and have not fueled up. was wondering what happened with your problem. I live 50 miles away from the dealer, and there mechanics have all gone home for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by basqueo81 View Post
    I just had the same problem picking my son up from karate. about 190 miles on it, and have not fueled up. was wondering what happened with your problem. I live 50 miles away from the dealer, and there mechanics have all gone home for the day.
    Well no real updates.

When I initially filled up, it was dark and didn't look on gas cap.

But right on the gas cap says a loose cap may make engine light turn on.

I'm at 500 miles and it's driving great. I'm not really sure why computer was saying air conditioner / clutch. Maybe that dealership misred or made a mistake, haven't taken it back to them.

Bas- I'd just make sure the gas cap is screwed all the way in tight. See if that fixes the light. When they did that and my car was off, turned it on and lights went away. So I'm almost positive in my situation it was gas cap issue. Maybe your dealership didn't screw all the way tight and it wiggled loose while driving, these cars maybe extra nitty with the gas cap since the warning is printed on the cap

Haven't had problems since and it rides great, hope you can figure it out.. Let us know

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.