Really weird performance issue with 2011 wrx

This is a discussion on Really weird performance issue with 2011 wrx within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So since I've bought the car (used with 13k miles 6 months ago) I've been having these on again off ...

Really weird performance issue with 2011 wrx

So since I've bought the car (used with 13k miles 6 months ago) I've been having these on again off again issues with performance. It will drive great for a matter of weeks, then all of a sudden it will feel as though someone is applying breaks while I'm trying to drive... As if the hulk was clamping down on my drive shaft.

When this happens, I notice that it will be harder to get a smooth shift. When I'll go in 3rd, it'll kind of jump forward as if someone just let off the breaks. The whole transmission just starts feeling really stiff.

I'll also notice that the exhaust will start sounding almost louder and will start popping more as well.

There's been a few random things in the past that have coincided with it "going away". I had the dealership put on a new IC > TB hose, since the old one was leaking oil.

Recently, for whatever reason turning off traction control during my drive to work seemed to make it stop, but then once I got out of work it was back.

Between getting the intercooler hose replaced and when it came back, it seemed to start happening once it got hotter here in Chicago.

The dealership I have to take it to is 2 hours away and it's a big ordeal to drop it off there overnight to be looked at, and the issue is never present when I'm about to having them take a look (not to mention tracking down performance issues is difficult for them to begin with)

Anyone have any ideas? It's making owning this car more worrying than fun.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

We're going to need more information on what you mean by this. When does it feel like the brakes are being applied, what's the driving style like (just driving or WOT) if you're just driving does it feel like the brakes are "pulsing" (mine does this every now and then and can't figure it out yet I believe it may be a bad connection from intake to turbo inlet tube since mine is shot)
    Sounds like since the exhaust is popping more yo7 may be running rich? I'd check every intake and bit of hose after the MAF for leaks since the MAF is measuring x amount of air coming through and then losing some causing a rich condition
    Also intake hoses do not leak oil. Oil is in the intake system but as long as it's not a flood it's pretty normal.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Stinkeye member 520

I Support ClubWRX
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    We're going to need more information on what you mean by this. When does it feel like the brakes are being applied, what's the driving style like (just driving or WOT) if you're just driving does it feel like the brakes are "pulsing" (mine does this every now and then and can't figure it out yet I believe it may be a bad connection from intake to turbo inlet tube since mine is shot)
    Sounds like since the exhaust is popping more yo7 may be running rich? I'd check every intake and bit of hose after the MAF for leaks since the MAF is measuring x amount of air coming through and then losing some causing a rich condition
    Also intake hoses do not leak oil. Oil is in the intake system but as long as it's not a flood it's pretty normal.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Basically, it will feel like the brakes are being applied during the entire drive, but seems to be more at the lower RPMs. Any time I give it 30% throttle or above, basically...but once it gets to 4k it kind of opens up.

It does not feel like the brakes are pulsing, no. The brakes bit is really just an analogy to describe how it feels, since I don't think it's an actual brakes issue (though, I guess anything is possible). I have yet to do any kind of leak test, maybe that's the best next step.