2015 engine rattle and engine "knock"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2015 engine rattle and engine "knock" within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ive had my 2015 wrx for about a month now and put 1800 miles on her sofar. Last week i ...

2015 engine rattle and engine "knock"

Ive had my 2015 wrx for about a month now and put 1800 miles on her sofar. Last week i heard the engine rattling at 1900 rpm and it was annoyingly loud so i brought it to subaru to check out the heatshields and it was fine up untill now. Im still getting the same engine rattle but now followed by a loud knock on engine revs. Heres a video of the sound: 2015 wrx engine rattle and knock: 2015 wrx engine rattle and knock - YouTube

Is it normal for a new car to do this?
    Is it okay to drive it still or will i mess it up more?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wrxedd; 06-06-2014 at 09:47 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

no I would say not normal at all! Does it sound like it's coming from a specific area of the engine bay? Did the dealership at least acknowledge that it was making a weird sound?

Take your car back to subaru immediately your car is under warranty!
    2012 DGM WRX - Stage Two 93 - Stink Eye Mob #908
    The Epic Life of Emily the WRX

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Does not sound good.Take it back.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red

Thank for the replies, i will take it back asap. Is it the rattle or the knock that is the major problem? What do you think caused this? I babyed the car for the first 1k miles and after that i only did some hard 2nd and 3rd gear pulls, no launches. People on youtube told me my engine is pretty much done for, which would suck after only 1800 miles.

Just checked it out again, it rattles the same and the knock is still there but a little quieter. Also right after i shut off the engine i hear like 2 or 3 small knocks coming from the fron of the car i will get a video soon

It sounds like your engine is struggling to run... If anything is wrong subaru should cover it.

Just out of curiosity have you checked the oil?

Quote Originally Posted by Scoob1318 View Post
    It sounds like your engine is struggling to run... If anything is wrong subaru should cover it.

Just out of curiosity have you checked the oil?
    Subaru changed the oil last week. My car feels like it runs fine i havent driven it since it started. When the car is warmed up it sounds louder. When i turn off the car it makes a loud knocking sound like somethings clicking. Heres the video: Engine shut off knock: http://youtu.be/WD5_fof68eg

Im at subaru right now they dont think theres any major problem but they said they would check it out.....:shrug:

Subaru dealer shiiiit, says it not a major problem? WTF!

That does not sound right at all. If the local dealership doesn't do anything contact Subaru of America and tell them what's going on. SOA will light a fire under the local dealership's butt.
    N.E.R.D. # 3.579545 MHz

Bugeye Mafia v 2.0 # 371

pete25r's build

Quote Originally Posted by monky View Post
    Subaru dealer shiiiit, says it not a major problem? WTF!
    Basically all they did was tighten the heatshield which fixed the pinging/ratttle sound. But im still hearing the weird "detonation" sounds after revs and weird sounds when i shut off the engine. They told me there might be a rock inside it and next time they have a rental car i can drop off my car for a couple days and that its ok to drive.

My sti sounded like that when i had a rod failure minus the screeching sound... Can you post a video of how it sounds now? After they "fixed" it

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm no mechanic but I have read that depending on the type of fuel you use you could experience engine knock. The pistons are designed to use premium fuel and anything less might cause the knocking sound. If you are indeed using premium fuel then have you tried a different gas station?

Quote Originally Posted by wrxedd View Post
    Basically all they did was tighten the heatshield which fixed the pinging/ratttle sound. But im still hearing the weird "detonation" sounds after revs and weird sounds when i shut off the engine. They told me there might be a rock inside it and next time they have a rental car i can drop off my car for a couple days and that its ok to drive.

They said you might have a rock in it, but it is ok to drive? Jesus wept man, stop driving the car and call SOA. Keep us posted. A rock
    Drive like hell, you will get there faster!

Warranty friendly mods for now-
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ml#post3579257

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast