Won't rev above 2500 rpm
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Won't rev above 2500 rpm within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just replaced the stock factory turbo on my 2002 WRX and I also changed out the spark plugs while ...

Exclamation Won't rev above 2500 rpm

I just replaced the stock factory turbo on my 2002 WRX and I also changed out the spark plugs while I was at it. Before swapping the turbo, the car would stutter and not accelerate very fast. I thought it was because the turbo wasn't spooling up to I went ahead and changed it. Now the car doesn't want to rev above 2500 rpm and also has a knock coming from the front passenger side of the engine compartment. I suspect the knock is because a spark plug issue, but what could be causing the rpm problems?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

PS: I'm not a tuner guy, I just do my own repairs, and I'm kinda a jack-of-all trades, so don't get too technical on me. Haha

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Have you done ANY sort of tuning on the ECU?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

If you're hearing a banging sound from one side of the engine you've likely spun a bearing, and that engine is done.

Ok... I found the knock and eliminated it. It was a loose spark plug. But it still won't rev. Every time I push the gas, it acts like it is going to die. It's like its not getting any air. The boost pressure also drops to around 1.0. Any help would be awesome.

zax.... No I haven't done any tuning to the ECU.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by AMG812 View Post
    zax.... No I haven't done any tuning to the ECU.

Well no wonder the car is broken.

NVM! Shame on me! I realize now that you swapped the turbo with an OEM turbo.
    Last edited by zax; 06-09-2014 at 09:48 AM.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Is the car stock, or modded? If modded, what mods? How many miles on the car? Was the car running perfectly, then this suddenly happened? Or did you do something, then it started having problems? Is there a CEL? If so, what's the code?

Are there any strange/new sounds coming from the engine/exhaust when this started happening? Have you performed a boost leak test? Have you checked the pre-turbo exhaust for leaks? Does the turbo inlet look to be in good condition (ie, no holes/collapsing/etc)? Have you tried cleaning the MAF sensor? Is the factory boost control solenoid hooked up correctly with everything in place? Does the solenoid seem to be functioning correctly in test mode? Do all of the ground wires in the engine bay have good clean connections?

If all of that checks out, I would do compression and leak down tests.. maybe try swapping out coilpacks.

The car is bone stock with about 165,000 miles on it. This issue got worse over about a months time.

I did just have some friends of mine that race every week (V8's mind you) take a look at it. They pulled off the stock top mount intercooler and the car ran almost perfectly. What could be causing it to do this. I don't want to just go out and buy another part that I don't need.

You are sure there are no leaks? Have you tried unplugging the front O2 sensor and resetting the ECU to see how it drives without it? What happens if you unplug the MAF sensor? Have you cleaned the MAF sensor and checked it with a DMM to ensure it is functioning properly?

When you say the issue got worse, that implies it already had the issue.. when exactly did it start?

They car would stutter every once in a while while it was cold starting about a month ago, but it stopped, then it sat over the weekend and it all of a sudden just wouldn't run right.

MAF sensor is clean, but I didn't try unplugging it.

Results of boost leak test?

I'm not a mechanic, so you are going to have to explain to me how to go about conducting a "boost leak test."

It almost sounds like your car went into limp mode. (ecu limiting boost) usually happens from over boosting. did you get any CEL's or any other lights on your dash?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.