Odd Idle issue
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Odd Idle issue within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So this just started today. first the car: '02 WRX wagon, 2.0 turbo 5 speed ETC Known mods (not done ...

Odd Idle issue

So this just started today. first the car:

'02 WRX wagon, 2.0 turbo 5 speed ETC

Known mods (not done by me, previous owner):
    Light weight crank pulley
    Air Box/Filter replaced with cone filter
    Cat-less Up-Pipe (possible swap from newer sti)
    STI Oil Pan (with baffles)
    some tune on ECU but not sure details, can't get rom raider to work for me at the moment.
    There are signed that it HAD a aftermarket Boost Controller that someone took out, when i got the car the factory booster control was unplugged and vacuum lines ran straight to everything w/o pill. this has been corrected.

Just changed the plug about 10k miles ago with NGK Iridium, with proper gabbing.

Have had multiple vacuum leaks that I've been plugging one by one, most of them are plugged at this point. Have had ocational misfires, but nothing major until today.

Started the car up and it was barely running, misfires on all 4 cylinders, check engine light started flashing and then stayed on. Plugged my scanner in and got 4 codes all misfire codes for all cylinders. after about 3-5 minutes of stuttering the engine suddenly smooths out, revs up to 2200 for about 10 seconds then drops to normal idle. Ran fine on the way home, get home turn off the car, wait 5 minutes, start it back up and there is my misfire again. This time it only lasts about a minute or two then smooths out. same thing over and over on separate stop and restarts after a few minutes.

one thing i did notice (knew about this issue, but haven't had the chance to fix it yet) on the inlet hose to the turbo, someone did a !@#$ rig job on the rear most vacuum fitting, and it was leaking, going to have to replace the inlet hose, well as i was inspecting it, it looks like i had a blow out cause now there is a small (about 1/4 inch triangle) hole in the hose where that fitting meets the inlet hose. Not sure when the fitting failed. (before you all get on me, no I've not been hotrodding the car at all sense I've found my various issues some 9 months ago)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I wonder if it could be the lightweight pulley..? They've been known to at least throw misfire codes

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Stinkeye member 520

I doubt it's the pulley because it just started and i've had the car for more than 2 years now.

on that crapped out inlet? lovely. well your letting in a huge amount of air that isnt going through the maf sensor then right at the turbo. another(albit much shorter) day in the garage lol. the last one almost killt me haha.

we need to source you eithor a better cai with a non-metal screen only filter or find you a factory airbox that somebody doesnt want anymore. yours sux, no pun
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

So update, this morning when i started her up, no issues at all... perfect start up, normal idle, nothing to report... so i'm really starting to this this is some kind of electrical/sensor/module issue not something mechanical... generally mechanical issues don't just clear themselves up over night...

I Support ClubWRX
    Don't you have a hole in the inlet?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Yea they get worse lol

Hey wait...where did you fill up at last. That sounds like my car when I had that nasty tank of fuel. Couldn't hardly keep it running. Thank god for torque pro.
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Rob

So here's an update: Yesterday, no issues at all, same with this morning and at lunch. Tonight though when i started it up to come home, there it was again, but this time it never really smoothed out, and to add to my confussion the exhaust smells like sulphur like really strong... you know those color 4th of july smoke bombs, yea that was the smell.

I do relise we're getting close to the 4th of july and it might be someone set one off near by so i cupped my hand at the exhaust pipe to get a nice concentrated blast and yea i'm pretty sure it was comming form the car. Oh and the exhaust was puffing black from time to time. (in time with the obvious mis-fires)

Another note i have 5 codes on the check engine light now, 4 of them are mis-fire codes, one for each cylinder, and the 5th one was a Coolant Temp below thermostat regulated temp.

Also remember this, when it's running rough i'm getting next to no vacuum, and i can hear the turbo (trying) to spool...

Any thoughts on these breaking bits of news?
    Last edited by kTwn; 06-03-2014 at 04:59 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Don't you have a hole in the inlet?
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

It's hard for me to believe it's something as simple as a small hole in the inlet hose causing this much running issue, but fine i did come here for suggestion. can you recommend a inexpensive aftermarket replacement for the inlet? don't want to just get a used/new factory one sense this is obviously a problem part.

I Support ClubWRX
    Contact a site vendor for pricing. Make sure you get one known to resist collapsing.

Hey...my car did the stink too. Terrible smell. My friend at the parts store with the s2 Forrester xt says its the cats cleaning themselves off. I even had a missfire in there but not terrible. Used a bottle of cat cleaner, some off the shelf mechanic in a bottle stuff. After getting a good look at my cats when my exhaust dropped....it did its job fairly well. Also killed the stench in a day of routine driving.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by kTwn View Post
    It's hard for me to believe it's something as simple as a small hole in the inlet hose causing this much running issue, but fine i did come here for suggestion. can you recommend a inexpensive aftermarket replacement for the inlet? don't want to just get a used/new factory one sense this is obviously a problem part.
    Search...unmetered air runability issues lol.
    Rob

Tryed a cheap 15 dollar "fix" and took off, cleaned thoroughly, the IAVC this has help ALOT but the issue is still there, to the point i'm willing to believe it could be caused by the inlet hose. So Gimmick 2 piece, or AVO one piece? any reviews/suggestions?

Amazon.com: Godspeed 02-03-04 Subaru Wrx Sti Ej20 Ej25 Turbo Intake Inlet Silicone Black Color: Automotive

Amazon.com: Mishimoto MMHOSE-WRX-AM7BK Black 76mm Silicone Airbox Hose for Subaru WRX: Automotive

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

all three for $230, less that the AVO one piece question will that Mishimoto air box hose match up to the Godspeed turbo inlet? Rob-son? isn't this the combo you're using?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast