Odd Idle issue - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Odd Idle issue within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hah! Hope your Sunday wasn't entirely spent soldering and splicing under the dash. Good news!...

I Support ClubWRX
    Hah!

Hope your Sunday wasn't entirely spent soldering and splicing under the dash. Good news!
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Hah!

Hope your Sunday wasn't entirely spent soldering and splicing under the dash. Good news!
    Worth every smokey second hahahaha
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Well all's well that ends well then!
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Kev how's day one so far?
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Rob

so far it's running, and pretty good. Washed it this evening and it started having some pretty bad hesitation around 2000-2500 rpm but i'm thinking it was just water down the intake.

Also i have a dry element filter coming to replace that wire mesh POS, and a new sensor, should have them both by next week (sensor will be tomorrow will put it in over the weekend as i'm still beat to **** right now...)

Haha the old tuning chip is out and the ecu has to remember how to do its job. Awesome score on the filter....this might turn into your build thread at this rate!
    Rob

I Support ClubWRX
    If I may, next time you meet you might consider swapping intakes. I suspect the existing intake isn't suitable.

about that sd....you beat me to the punch i was going to ask. we know the cai isnt right for the stock ecu. in fact im wondering if this one isnt part of a hole vinchu package as kev has the lightweight crank pulley as well.

that makes the cai and filter, lightweight pulley, and boost ripping computer piggyback plus all the mods they didnt hide to well downgrading(i see evidence of the downpipe being reinstalled before it was sold to kev) ive actually never seen a current filter that looks like this one. its layeres metal screen..??..?? mabey it was a hole package install with a custom tune on the dastek. i have no idea but heres a lousy pic of the cai and the weirdo filter soon to be replaced.

and

and we fixed this

whew. oh...it doesnt show but we replaced the borrowed from my car timc hose with the mishimoto ones...i didnt take hardly any pics until the car was all the way together and driving. too much to do! but we got a short twisty drive in afterwords. only had two wrx's so we fell short of a meet, but it was fun driving with friends again.

there i think that was a 30 hour thrash fest wrapped up into one post haha
    Last edited by tirerob; 06-30-2014 at 11:32 PM.
    Rob

After looking closer at the wiring i don't think that piggyback did anything to the signal for the MAF so for me to have not gotten a CEL in all this time for the MAF being out of range i'm betting my ECM has been tweaked with enough to at least not throw a hissy about the "cold air intake" though that's not really what that is, it's just a far, far more breathable filter than stock.

Just like as i think about it, the "flash" that we pulled off my ECM likely is moderately close to what it really is flashed with i bet, cause it wouldn't make sense for the piggyback to be sending odd/weird info to the OBDII plug when it only have 3 wires that it was intercepting the signal. I'm betting those three were going to the boost controller, the engine timing, and i'd guess fuel injector control.

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice scenery!

The Vishnu packages may now have archaeological value... Haven't seen a user in a decade.

I don't recognize the filter or intake but they're both pointless and may be causing the stumble, I can't know.

From the coolant reservoir above the turbo I can tell the car was built before 05/2002; potentially from 2001 even. If the car is very early it may have been subject to a factory reflash.

Either way the car will be fine without a tune for up and down pipes, but WILL need a tune for any effective intake and shouldn't be run with a poor intake in any case.

You might think about a stock intake with a stock ECU map, no matter what exhaust you're running, IFF the headers are stock (the headers and intake would need tuning IMO).

BTW if that's the original radiator I'll be shocked, I'm on my third.

Summary: ignoring up and down pipes, consider bringing all else to stock to see what happens.,

The filter looks to be an even cheaper "Spectra" knock-off cause i've seen universal "cold air intakes" from Spectra that use a filter pretty much identical to this one.

As for the intake, it's a Mishimoto MAF hose, into a God Speed inlet hose, come out of the Turbo we have Mishimoto TMIC hose kit.

As for exhaust we've done nothing to it, but we have noticed it has a catless up-pipe, the down pipe LOOKS stock but we've not opened it up to see if the cat has been removed or not.

The only other visible mod we've found is a Vishnu performance Light weight crank pulley.

When we pull the flash off my ECM the only difference between mine and Rob's (which we are assuming is a factory flash) was my flash had one extra step on the MAF table with a slightly higher value, all else was the same.

As of yet we've not been able to get romraider to work for us to pull an actual log of a pull, but we have been able to pull the flash.

As for the stumble (which btw is not a harsh enough word for what it was doing) that is all but gone once we removed the Piggyback computer from my ECM. It's still hesitating a bit, but the thing ran so long with that piggyback computer on it, who know what my ECM thinks it should be seeing, it may have to re-learn EVERYTHING...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.