Odd Idle issue - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Odd Idle issue within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by kTwn Amazon.com: Godspeed 02-03-04 Subaru Wrx Sti Ej20 Ej25 Turbo Intake Inlet Silicone Black Color: Automotive Amazon.com: ...

Quote Originally Posted by kTwn View Post
    yup. mishimoto timc pipes and post-maf hose. godspeed(gasp) turbo inlet. all three amazon specials. maybe not the best but so far reliable for me. replacing the post maf hose found a massive vacuum leak that had my boost spiking all over the place till i reset the ecm and my wgdc reset( i think) anyway they are working good for me. any luck tracking down a different airbox or a factory piece?

i dont know anybody yet that has run the one piece inlet. seems like less chance for a leak with fewer parts but ill let the vets chime in for that. i just dont have enough exp to say.
    Last edited by tirerob; 06-16-2014 at 12:16 AM.
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I cheapened out on my aftermaf hose, no problems. Simple hose. not much to go wrong IMO:
    Subaru WRX STI Silicone Post After MAF Intake Hose 4ply Expedited Shipping | eBay

Parts ordered, also getting a Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor, as i did get that code once, and from the service manual it is one of the "problem parts" for all three of my symtoms. IT's 20-30 bucks, and easy to get to, might as well i figure.

Now gotta get with you Rob-son to see when i could get you to come down and help install. Sense you've already done these on yours you'll have a better idea what not to do

The parts won't be here (some of them) till next week so this weekend is out, and i don't really like the idea of driving up to Sidney the way it is.

Ya true. I have to work this weekend anyhoo. Have a week of work to catch up on haha. Its not to bad as we are cutting the old one out with a saw I think instead of intake off. Couple of easy hours.

Air filter. Tell me you found something to replace the metal screen?
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Rob

I've not yet, one more thing to get, just going to get a k&n for it sense i know those are easy to find, might be a bit expensive. but i really don't want to replace with a factory box when we already know the cars been tuned for it.

Also as a note that thing is JUST a metal screen i took it off and washed it out when i parked the car and yes can see right through it now nothing but a double or maybe triple wire mesh no paper element on the inside at all.

OH and here some food for thought!

Was trying thing the other day to see if i could get the symptoms to change/go away/do anything sense sometimes the car runs perfect and other times it barly runs at all. so while idling and it barely running i pulled the screw out of that vacuum hose, you know the one that shouldn't be there but is. Anyway when i pulled that the engine smoothed out abit, not totaly but it was a noticable diffence. So to test if it was a flook i put the screw back in and the idle roughened up agaain, rinse repeat 3 or 4 times over 2 days.

So it got me to thinking if opening a vacuum leak there that feeds both into the manufold and the inlet tube makes it smoother what if i pull something that only runs to the inlet and/or only to the manifold. so the easiest one to find/pull was the one to the BOV so i yanked it while the engine was spitting and barely running and the engine COMPLETELY smoothed out, like 100% not even the smallest hint of a mis-fire. to see if for some reason/some how it was an error with the vacuum chamber pm the BOV or something wierd like that i plugged the hose with my thumb. after the car nearly dieing each time i re-plugged that vacuum line when it recovered it was back to the same barely running thing.

So applying many hours of thought to it this leads me to think it is almost entirely due to that hole in the inlet, because that will make the MAF and the MAP disagree which if i remember right would make the computer try and compensate for the more air than expected and close up the IACV which would cause a rich (very very rich) running condition which is what i'm getting, when it's suttering i'm not running lead, i'm funigating the place in gas it's running so rich.
    Last edited by kTwn; 06-18-2014 at 06:32 PM.

Dude. That is messored up. We are gonna burn that factory inlet in the fire pit and do a voodoo dance when it comes out hhahahaha

I'll bring the 'good' lumber
    Rob

Yea i'm tempted to drive it with that line unplugged but all my good sense says not to even DARE doing that... it's just asking to blow up the turbo/engine so in the drive way it sits...

Odly....I'd bet if you stayed out of boost...you're turbo be fine Mon. Running the motor mixed up like that...who knows. As a thought we can swap in my factory box just for giggles while were at it. Man you're car is being weird! Wth! Looks like I need to bist out that vacuum line diagram and proceed to make sure the lines under you intake arnt all effed up too. Who knows what they did. Timc gotta come off anyway. It'll ba another day job hahahaha
    Rob

Timc hoses are here, new temp sensor is here. The other 2 are due sometime early next week.

Sweet. I'll be there next weekend if you have room for a moocher lol. Wife might come down too.I'd like to get together for a roadie out to the ranchettes. And maybe burn some twisties like the pine hills run after your car feels better haha
    Rob

I'm game for that, and i'm sure you saw the pic we sent this afternoon of the inlet hose, that came in today so all the "important" parts are here. Assuming this fixes the issue i'd love to do some driven around... been the better part of two weeks now that i've not driven...

Packed. Double checked and stacked. See youz in ten hours haha
    Rob

Update! all vacuum leaks are sealed, new hoses all around! and here's the kicker, it fixed NOTHING, not a damn thing is better... but the symptoms have been better flushed out.

First run after ECM reset (disconnected neg battery and held brake/turned on lights/whatever) car runs great, in fact it runs better than it ever has (it should having new everything hose wise)

Second start up after ECM reset i get a stumble on start up and it smooths out pretty quick, no check engine light, small amount of hesitation in the throttle.

Third-Fourth start up after ECM reset and the stumbles never smooth out (sometimes check engine light sometimes not, when it's there it's misfire codes, 4 of them one on each cylinder.)

Fourth-Fifth+ start up after ECM reset and the car died/stalls immediately, again sometimes i get a code other times i don't. and some other codes start showing up. got a coolant temperature below thermostat regulated temp code, but only once. and tonight i got a p0244 code (Electronic Boost Control Solenoid malfunction)

resetting the ECM starts the cycle over. I'm almost 100% sure this is a sensor/solenoid/electronic problem at this point but i'm not sure where to start... For now it's 1:30 in the morning here and i'm heading to bed, tomorrow we're going to by-pass the EBCS and run a vacuum line straight to the waste gate (minus pill) because i know that will make me run straight WG boost (about 7psi max in my car) to see if that keeps the car from degrading into a no-run situation. Will post update after that, if anyone has any bright ideas please say so i'm totally lost at this point as to what to start with.

In case you're wondering Compression is not an issue, nor is fuel pressure we have checked both of those and they are right in line with the specs.

I Support ClubWRX
    You're describing something consistent with faulty data or an incorrect response to correct data, as if something goes wrong once the ECU responds not to tables but to acquired data.

1. The data to the ECU may be inaccurate. Check all earth or grounding straps to the battery, gearbox, and engine. Check all connections to ECU, BCS, MAF, etc.

2. The map you are running may not be the map you think, or the map you need.

Consider real time data logging if feasible.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

SD, thanks again. guess what we found when we checked the ecu?

and
    this is where we found several of the connector's blades were actually discolored from heat. the dastek smelled like a burnt stereo amplifier.....fried circut smell

and...

its all out and kTwn's car is running rather more like mine now, normal. of course we fixed a few other things too but that's the winner right there. piggyback out and fsd out=running car. got some road time and restarts under it and it seems to be stable with no return of the dreaded stumble. hope hope.
    Rob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.