Subaru WRX Forum banner

2015 WRX Check Engine Light

88K views 141 replies 43 participants last post by  Dukeman1948 
#1 ·
So, where do I begin? I am driving my WRX pretty cautiously (Not going over 4000 RPM) and enjoying my new car, when around 700 miles hits my check engine light comes on with a blinking cruise control light. I figured I didn't screw on my gas cap tight enough because after all, I am a chick and I talk on the phone and text with my girlfriends while doing such chores. So no big deal. After a few days, the check engine light goes off, bingo! WRONG! The very next day, the light came back on again, so my husband scheduled my car to go in and get it checked. I also had them install a new exhaust on it while it was in there. They call me later that afternoon and tell me that a weird code, (Code P2610) was coming up and it had to do with the ECM. They said they were very concerned and Subaru said it was very serious. They had a Subi engineer drive a few hundred miles to collect data and figure out what was wrong with the vehicle. They called Japan on Friday, and supposedly had a new ECM overnighted to them so they can have it installed and ready to go on Tuesday. Tuesday rolls around and I call to check on the status and they tell me they overreacted and that they were not going to install a new ECM and that Japan told them that it was just a glitch in the computer and I will be fine. They told me I could come pick up my car on wednesday. I was enraged, so I wrote a letter to Subaru of America expressing my safety concerns, and letting them know I was not going to be their crash test dummy. They responded and were very concerned but yet reassured me I was in good hands and was being taken care of my their Fuji Manufacturer and Subaru's engineers. I agreed to get the car and be on my way. They also offered to make my car payment for me for the inconvenience. I picked up the car today, signed my paper work and took off. I was 3 miles from the dealership on the freeway when my check engine light came on and my car just started shutting down. I was in the fast lane and almost got hit by the guy behind me. My car started to decelerate, and my RPMS were teeter tottering from 2.5 -4.5 RPMS like crazy. I turned my emergency flashers on and tried to get off the freeway but right where the next exit was, was a merging lane from where another freeway connects so I almost got hit 2 more times. People were slamming their brakes on etc. By the time I got off the freeway, my car wouldnt go over 10 mph and I rolled into a uhaul parking lot where I called the dealership IRATE and the GM sent a tow truck. I emailed the guy back from Subaru of America and am demanding my car be replaced with a new vehicle and compensation for my time missed of work. As the car was loading on to the tow truck, I also noticed a scratch above my driver side fender and 2 door dings on my passenger side. Now I am meticulous about my cars, I didnt even have them take the white wrapping off when it arrived off the truck and I KNOW those blemishes weren't there. I am FURIOUS....so if anyone gets those codes, please don't drive your car. Take your car into Subaru immediately and tell them its the ECM and don't let them BS you. :mad::unhappy:

See less See more
#4 ·
This is why I feel that 99.9% of dealerships out there are staffed with morons and know-it-all's that don't give two $hits about your safety, your car or your complaints!

My car got dinged in 3 places the last time I was at the shop...of course they said "that was like that when you brought it in and you have no proof that it wasn't"...if a place of business doesn't own up to damage of any kind then they themselves shouldn't be in business in the first place.

Good luck though!!!

#5 ·
So it begins
They're not going to give you a new car. Sounds like it may be a software issue with the ecm and they're going to have to get your car running correctly and you may just have to be patient and wait until a fix is available.
Subaru isn't known for putting recalls out or tsb unless it's too common and too expensive or major, such as the 08-10 engine failures which would be warrantied and not a recall, the broken clutch welds affecting almost all early third gens do not have anything more then a tsb at this point even after a class action, and evap codes for the 12 and 13 which ends up being a poor ground or splice in the engine harness.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#7 ·
****UPDATE****

So, this morning I was told by the service tech that it's an entirely different code and they are having their Subaru engineers come back out. I told them I am refusing to take the vehicle back at this point and they need to work on getting mine replaced. He told me he completely understood and would call me as soon as he knew more. He just called to tell me the problem now is CPU failure and the engineer who diagnosed my "Glitch" last time will be back Wednesday to do a software update and I'll be good to go. I am on the verge of having a nervous breakdown because I do not feel this car is safe to drive.

#9 ·
Well don't be surprised if you see me hit national news. I don't care if it means taking vacation from work and sitting at their dealership notifying every customer that walks in there what happened. This is outrageous. I don't even know what CPU failure means...

#10 ·
Basically the cars computer has a virus. Ecu software updates are very common but I've never seen one in need like this before. You should be perfectly fine once there's a properly working software in the computer

#17 ·
Looks like you're either getting a re flash or new ecm or both. Won't be coming out of your pocket either way. Irritating? Yes.
But unfortunately these are some of the issues that come along with a first year car...you get to play guinea pig. Once they get a hold of what's causing the issue they're going to roll out and have all affected vehicles re flashed or wjatever the remedy is since this seems to be a bit on the more severe side

#20 ·
They had a Subi engineer drive a few hundred miles to collect data and figure out what was wrong with the vehicle.
A few hundred miles? WTF??? You're either trolling or you've been taken for a ride. Assuming it's the latter, I'd complain to SOA and ask them to pull the data logs for how the car was driven during that time. If that engineer was not careful during your break-in period he might have void your engine warranty. At least make sure it is documented that the dealership drove the car for those miles.

What are your local lemon laws? That would also be interesting to know, although I would use it to get a new car rather than remind them about it.

#21 ·
Well I'm definitely not a troller. I did research the NV lemon laws and the car would've had to be inoperable for 30 days, which at this point it's going to be 15 by the time I get it back, or have been taken in 4 times for the same issue or related issue. I have all the paperwork that they gave me explaining the codes. The first code was a p2610 and that was ECM. Now they're saying it's a P0606 code which is CPU failure. I did contact SOA and the Senior Customer relations director is supposed to call me tomorrow. I really hope they don't BS me because I'm very stubborn and short tempered and they are wearing me thin. :(

#37 ·
Yeah, that make more sense.

****UPDATE****

I recieved an email from SOA telling me they agreed to purchase back my vehicle and will cut me a check reimbursing me for all money I have paid including the exhaust I added! Yesssssssss!!!!
I would have expected them to offer a replacement first? Are you going to buy another one? Get a Galaxy Blue one next time, no ECU issues :p

#23 ·
OK, just to clarify, no, it's not a virus. A virus is a piece of malware/malicious code written to do something, well, malicious. What the OP is dealing with is a bug. A defect in the code.

OP, before you go nuts, things like this happen. A lot. Things slip past QC/QA. You don't need a whole new car because of a software failure. If the failure can be linked to a physical failure, you may have a case but it's unlikely given the many failsafes in modern ECU's.

Also, the easier you are to deal with, the more likely you'll be compensated. Irate, pissed off, fuming customers don't get the grease. Be firm about your stance but calm and collected.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

#28 ·
I can tell you from experience that staying calm and professional, but being firm, will get results. The fact that they are absorbing your next payment is encouraging. I agree with others that the WRX (and competitor GTI) are clean sheet of paper designs and issues are almost expected. Keep in mind that the average new car is assembled with roughly 30,000 separate parts if you count all the screws, washers, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.