Subaru WRX Forum banner

2015 WRX Check Engine Light

88K views 141 replies 43 participants last post by  Dukeman1948 
#1 ·
So, where do I begin? I am driving my WRX pretty cautiously (Not going over 4000 RPM) and enjoying my new car, when around 700 miles hits my check engine light comes on with a blinking cruise control light. I figured I didn't screw on my gas cap tight enough because after all, I am a chick and I talk on the phone and text with my girlfriends while doing such chores. So no big deal. After a few days, the check engine light goes off, bingo! WRONG! The very next day, the light came back on again, so my husband scheduled my car to go in and get it checked. I also had them install a new exhaust on it while it was in there. They call me later that afternoon and tell me that a weird code, (Code P2610) was coming up and it had to do with the ECM. They said they were very concerned and Subaru said it was very serious. They had a Subi engineer drive a few hundred miles to collect data and figure out what was wrong with the vehicle. They called Japan on Friday, and supposedly had a new ECM overnighted to them so they can have it installed and ready to go on Tuesday. Tuesday rolls around and I call to check on the status and they tell me they overreacted and that they were not going to install a new ECM and that Japan told them that it was just a glitch in the computer and I will be fine. They told me I could come pick up my car on wednesday. I was enraged, so I wrote a letter to Subaru of America expressing my safety concerns, and letting them know I was not going to be their crash test dummy. They responded and were very concerned but yet reassured me I was in good hands and was being taken care of my their Fuji Manufacturer and Subaru's engineers. I agreed to get the car and be on my way. They also offered to make my car payment for me for the inconvenience. I picked up the car today, signed my paper work and took off. I was 3 miles from the dealership on the freeway when my check engine light came on and my car just started shutting down. I was in the fast lane and almost got hit by the guy behind me. My car started to decelerate, and my RPMS were teeter tottering from 2.5 -4.5 RPMS like crazy. I turned my emergency flashers on and tried to get off the freeway but right where the next exit was, was a merging lane from where another freeway connects so I almost got hit 2 more times. People were slamming their brakes on etc. By the time I got off the freeway, my car wouldnt go over 10 mph and I rolled into a uhaul parking lot where I called the dealership IRATE and the GM sent a tow truck. I emailed the guy back from Subaru of America and am demanding my car be replaced with a new vehicle and compensation for my time missed of work. As the car was loading on to the tow truck, I also noticed a scratch above my driver side fender and 2 door dings on my passenger side. Now I am meticulous about my cars, I didnt even have them take the white wrapping off when it arrived off the truck and I KNOW those blemishes weren't there. I am FURIOUS....so if anyone gets those codes, please don't drive your car. Take your car into Subaru immediately and tell them its the ECM and don't let them BS you. :mad::unhappy:

See less See more
#33 ·
I'd say have them throw in 15K, 30K maintenance on the house depending on how long this continues, along with your next car payment. Make sure you call SOA. That should temper your aggravation, and Subaru will have a happy customer...IMO.

#41 ·
Nice haha did not see that coming. Co grays though!
Personally I think silver looks good this year and you can never go wrong with world rally blue. Haven't seen galaxy blue in person yet though.
White is beautiful too though....hmm

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#93 ·
Happened to me today. 2015 wrx with 3k miles. Coming to a stop at a light and downshifting. The engine started revving to 3k and wouldn't idle down. At the same time, the check engine light came on and the cruise control dash indicator started flashing. When the traffic light turned green, I could barely accelerate to the curb. It felt like the clutch was slipping. I turned it off and called my Subaru dealer. They told me it was a known issue and they had a software fix. I brought it in and they had it fixed in less than an hour!

#47 ·
From what I understand my car pulled two different codes. P2610 and P0606. The first one was an issue with the ECM and the second was CPU failure. With the CPU failure, I had the problems with the car physically limiting my acceleration. What is your service dept. telling you?

#52 ·
Well, my latest update: SOA is cutting me a check on Monday for all of down payment, tax credit for the trade in, exhaust I put on and labor. It comes out to about $5300. We then reworked another deal with the sales team and are now being offered 2k under invoice, $150 in parts, and invoice pricing offered in parts. I ordered another '15 CWP but this time I upgraded to the limited with Nav, push button start, short shifter, Spt truck trim, auto dim mirror with home link, red illumination kit and Harmon Cardon audio. Well worth the drama! Car won't be here for about a month though.

#57 ·
I am having a similar issue. I managed to put 3700 miles on the car, made sure to keep it under 4k RPM for the first 1,000 miles and got the oil changed at 3,200. I drove it home one night from work, just like every other day. The next morning I started it up and the CEL was on and the cruise control light was blinking. I drove 12 miles to work and didn't experience any issues, drove it home and then to the dealer the next day, again, no drivability issues. The dealer said it threw 3 codes, one of which I think is the same as OP. the suspect the ECM, but couldn't confirm the other codes that day. So I'm in a horrible ford focus rental until the dealer can get me a loaner. And I had a road trip planned for Wednesday in my new baby. :( I think I will be contacting SOA as well. Can we keep this thread going until we get some answers? I will follow up when I hear from the dealer.

#58 ·
Over the weekend I thought about keeping the car but seeing "bizfamo's" comment with the same issues it seems as if Subaru has some type of serious electronic issue to deal with. The dealer tech wanted to know if I had been trying push the car hard. I haven't had it over 4,000 RPM either and haven't broached 1,000 miles yet with the dealer putting over 100 miles on it trying to activate the problems.

#59 ·
So I just got my car back this morning after they replaced my ECM. They said the ECM was going to take 3 weeks to ship, but luckily they got it much sooner. The codes are gone and the car drove home from the dealer just fine. Hopefully that will be the last of this issue, but it is hard to feel confident when I can't seem to get a certain answer as to what the problem was. If it is a software issue, then replacing the computer isn't going to resolve it. But we shall see. I haven't received any compensation from SOA for this whole ordeal minus a rental car while my car was in the shop, but I'll keep you guys posted.

#60 ·
I have the same issue as the OP. CEL came on then it shut down all power to the car while turning left through a stop light. The engine revved up to about 2000 rpm then down to idle then back up to almost 3000 rpm before going back down to idle. When it happened all the lights came on. The cruise control light blinked the hill start assist light deactivation light came on and a few others. The CEL went off when I turned the car off after I made it home. This is the second different issue I have had with this car. The first is the fuel door being loose and not popping open when the latch is pulled. It is suppose to be taken to the dealer tomorrow to have them fix that. I called them this morning informing them about the CEL. I will have to see if they will check for the code that was thrown.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.