White smoke on start

This is a discussion on White smoke on start within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I mentioned this in my tuning thread, but since this is a separate issue, I thought I'd start a different ...

White smoke on start

I mentioned this in my tuning thread, but since this is a separate issue, I thought I'd start a different thread. Mods, if that's not the right thing to do, feel free to delete this thread.

Yesterday when I started my car it put out a large amount of white smoke. Today, it's done it twice. First start after sitting for about 8 hours it put out a lot. Then a start after sitting for 40 minutes it was less.

Any ideas what it could be? To me, the smoke smells of burnt fuel, not oil, but maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm a little worried about it, and when I'm worried I like to gather as much information as possible.

I'm stage 2 for a few thousand miles. Invidia catted DP, Cobb intake, and Cobb dyno tune.

Thanks guys...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It doesn't smell sweet, like antifreeze? White is usually coolant or moisture.

I'd be wondering about the turbo and check for signs of head gasket issues (hopefully less likely).
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

It didn't smell sweet to me... I'll smell harder next time I start.

What exactly should I be looking for with the turbo and/or head gaskets? And (maybe a stupid question) could this be related to my tune?

thanks

I Support ClubWRX
    Given it is white, I'd check the oil (look for signs of water it is nasty if so) then drive it and see if it keeps doing it. These Subarus are not known for head gasket problems like the old 2.5 NA legacy motor for example so I wouldn't get concerned about that terribly but you can read up more on the signs. The turbo has oil and coolant running through it, so that can do the same thing. You can't really see anything directly but you can take off the intercooler and see what is in there (doesn't help if it is blowing straight to exhaust). There will be oil in your intercooler always, so don't worry about that unless it is excessive. Your tune may have shortened the life of the turbo, but that is about it.

Honestly it is most likely just that you idled it and turned it off cold or something and it has to blow out some moisture. If it doesn't smell obviously like burnt sugar it isn't coolant.

Ok. Thanks for putting my mind at ease. I was deep into ringland failure threads on NASIOC!

I'll keep an eye on the oil and coolant. If coolant was in the oil, it would be obvious on the dipstick?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Quioxte View Post
    Ok. Thanks for putting my mind at ease. I was deep into ringland failure threads on NASIOC!

I'll keep an eye on the oil and coolant. If coolant was in the oil, it would be obvious on the dipstick?
    Yes but not all head gasket failures produce that. AGCO Automotive Repair Service - Baton Rouge, LA - Detailed Auto Topics - Symptoms of a Blown Head Gasket

Ring land failure would have significant gray, not white.

Thanks for the link. I'll start reading up.

And thanks for letting me relax a little bit!