AC Motor sound

This is a discussion on AC Motor sound within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; About 2 weeks ago my car started to sound like it had an extra electric motor squelling under the hood. ...

AC Motor sound

About 2 weeks ago my car started to sound like it had an extra electric motor squelling under the hood. What I have narrowed it down to is the AC motor or AC tensioner by opening the hood and just listening.

Would this be the correct diagnosis steps:
    1. Remove the tensioner, check if the bearing is sticking or not spinning freely.
    2. Is it safe to spin the AC motor with out the belt on? If so spin it and see if it is sticking or grinding. (does anyone know how much tension i should expect from the motor?)

if it's item 1 that is a simple fix
    if it's item 2, does anyone know if replacing the AC motor is a PITA? My concern is the Freon (SP?) lines that are connected to it.

I have 99k on the car, it's on 04. I don't think any of my mods would affect this part of the car.

I have hte 04 service manual, but weirdly i can't find much about the AC motor in the book.

Thanks,
    Jared

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Bump.... Sound comes and goes. AC is still working fine. Just curios if spinning it with out the belt on is safe. Thanks.

You can spin it without the belt attached.

If you try to remove the compressor yourself you WILL vent all the freon to atmosphere or your lungs.

Could be the clutch that is inside the pulley on the compressor but more likely it is the tensioner pulley. They are very cheap and easy to do, might as well just do it since you are removing the belt anyway.

OK Good to know. Freon in lungs doesn't sound good so I'll avoid that!