Engine rattle @ 2800rpm under load (different than the other 2800rpm issue)
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Engine rattle @ 2800rpm under load (different than the other 2800rpm issue) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; 2012 base, no mods. Easiest to notice the noise in 2nd & 3rd gears. Cruise along around 2800rpm and then ...

Engine rattle @ 2800rpm under load (different than the other 2800rpm issue)

2012 base, no mods.

Easiest to notice the noise in 2nd & 3rd gears. Cruise along around 2800rpm and then floor it to put the engine under load and a rattle-like noise starts happening and goes away around 3300rpm.

Any ideas? Totally under warranty, just want to have an idea when I take it in.
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I had a similar scenario when a bolt feel off my turbo to down pipe. But that was my fault for not tightening it properly. If you are under warranty I'd have subaru look for the problem. There techs will probably have heard it before and can diagnose it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Can you take a video of the noise. There are an awful lot of things that can make a "rattling" noise...
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    Can you take a video of the noise. There are an awful lot of things that can make a "rattling" noise...
    As soon as I get it back from the body shop, yes...

Something on the road kicked up and smacked my front bumper, cracking it in one spot, breaking a bracket, and forever losing the cover that goes over the tow hook spot. God bless Los Angeles.
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Like the sound of the balls in the bottom of a paint can when you shake it?

What was the other issue at 2800?
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Like the sound of the balls in the bottom of a paint can when you shake it?

What was the other issue at 2800?
    No, it's not that noticeable. I don't think it came through quite right with my video, so I'm probably just going to have to take it in to the dealership. It's so quiet in this video...

Noise? - YouTube

Ya its really hard to hear in my phone.
    Best advice I could say is to look for loose bolts, especially on heat shields both on the turbo and under the vehicle

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Stinkeye member 520

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    Ya its really hard to hear in my phone.
    Best advice I could say is to look for loose bolts, especially on heat shields both on the turbo and under the vehicle

Perfect I will start there.

If you can get someone to rev the engine for you too. It'll help pinpoint the location easier

Stinkeye member 520

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    If you can get someone to rev the engine for you too. It'll help pinpoint the location easier
    See, it only does it under a load though.... So it might be a vibration issue but I think it's unlikely...
    Last edited by etnpnys; 05-19-2014 at 08:18 AM.

oops
    In my experience though...If it's just a heat shield or loosened bolt... The vibrations at certain rpm ranges will either quiet them or make them rattle

Stinkeye member 520

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I can't hear it with good headphones.

Is this new or could it be just that you are noticing it for the first time?

The wastegate will flutter in that RPM range - are you at around 8-10psi when you hear it? It should be more prominent at part throttle though.

You could be getting some detonation in that RPM/Load range. Is it still hitting full boost or any signs that the IAM might be down? I'd want to log it even if it were hitting target. You can very easily see where there is detonation where it pulls timing or if the IAM is down. This will happen for example if you have loose clamps on the intake tract between the MAF and the turbo.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Much appreciated, everybody. Myc, I'll look into that. I can't log it because I have no tools to do so with (and it's the stock tune). I have the Torque Android app, though, so I should be able to see boost levels and such.

It feels like it's running fine - I just get that quiet weird rattle. Admittedly, I didn't think you guys would be able to decipher it in the video. I can hear it there, but that's because I know exactly what I'm talking about.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.